This Pen Vibrates When You Make Spelling Mistake

Remember how each one of us sucked at spellings until the ego & dignity saving spell checks made it to the word processing software on computers? Well, did we not wish if there was 'something' that could tell us when we misspelled words? A kickstarter project called 'Lernstift' actually does that in real time. Whenever you are writing and make a spelling mistake, the pen will vibrate. The makers of the pen believe that this pen will help kids learn English more effectively.

slide

Of course, this pen involves some German crazy engineering. This pen has electronics that packs a stripped down version of Linux, with a non-optical motion sensors which work when you are writing on the paper or just air-writing. There's also a calligraphy mode which will give you ruthless feedback to improve your penmanship.

The project's looking to raise ~$181,476 and if you want this pen for yourself or your kids, you should head over to the source link and contribute at least $150. But for the rest of us, who love the sophisticated algorithms to fix our spellings free of cost, just watch this video in action-

We sincerely believe that more than the engineers with bad handwriting, the doctors with bad handwriting need to buy this pen. What say you?​
Source: #-Link-Snipped-#​

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nice idea, infact a very good idea ! This gonna help kids to learn 'English' language faster, but problem is in design. The Pen looks quite huge, kids of age range 5-8 years will find very hard to grip it.
    Need to make it more compact, else it's very nice gadget 👍
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Another amazing project on Kickstarter. I can see right now they are checking spelling via Wi-Fi. Is internet connection must require for this pen?

It would be great Pen if it has inbuilt spell checker functionality. I am not sure if it has right now.

Any CEan going to support/Purchase this Pen?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nice idea, infact a very good idea ! This gonna help kids to learn 'English' language faster, but problem is in design. The Pen looks quite huge, kids of age range 5-8 years will find very hard to grip it.
    Need to make it more compact, else it's very nice gadget 👍
    Yes, I agree ! Seems it's not easy to design such pen in regular shape as it has inbuilt PCB for motion sensor and wifi connectivity.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    Yes, I agree ! Seems it's not easy to design such pen in regular shape as it has inbuilt PCB for motion sensor and wifi connectivity.
    From the internal structure, it is still possible to make compact.Need to redesign pen,honestly.
    Also due to power source (here cell) it gonna be bit heavy. An another drawback which will make tough for kids to grip it & write.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't get it. Why invent a pen when the keyboards are rapidly replacing the pens and pencils as the mainstream writing instruments? I haven't used a pen in years for anything 'serious' than taking notes and life seems to be running smoother.

From the engineering perspective, this is really great. But I don't see a reason why'd anyone spend $150 in getting a pen that tells you how to improve your handwriting?

We're moving into an era where the digital will completely take over and that change is happening in the next 10 - 15 years.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't get it. Why invent a pen when the keyboards are rapidly replacing the pens and pencils as the mainstream writing instruments? I haven't used a pen in years for anything 'serious' than taking notes and life seems to be running smoother.

From the engineering perspective, this is really great. But I don't see a reason why'd anyone spend $150 in getting a pen that tells you how to improve your handwriting?

We're moving into an era where the digital will completely take over and that change is happening in the next 10 - 15 years.
    Well I think this product is aimed for Kids.
    You can't simply teach kids to type on laptop from beginning. Hand-written is must, I guess. This is an awesome gadget for kids, no shit; but it has some drawbacks which I have mentioned in my comments above.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Kaustubh Katdare

But still do you think it will replace pen and pencils for kids?
    Check they are also providing the app by which whatever you have written on paper is converted into digital and you can easily share it with your friends.

Still I believe pen has it's own charm. That's why I have created Share your Handwriting !!thread.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why not? I mean, those kids who can afford a $150 'smart-pen' can definitely afford a simple computer with keyboard! Why not hone their typing skills (which is the need of the hour, I think) than telling them to improve cursive writing or spellings?

I just did a search on CrazyEngineers and found that this news actually is a duplicate.

Linux-Powered Pen Warns You On Bad Handwriting Or Grammar 😀

Also: Is drawing by hand obsolete? Drawing by hand is obsolete?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    From the internal structure, it is still possible to make compact.Need to redesign pen,honestly.
    Also due to power source (here cell) it gonna be bit heavy. An another drawback which will make tough for kids to grip it & write.
    I have doubt on this as there are some essential component and they have used minimum footprint on board.
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    generally what happen,when people write on any of platform of laptop,n due to spelling mistake red line come below.and same time you make it correct.This help you to fast typing.

Now same with this pen difference is that it vibrate.
    This is more for youngster than kids.
    But I dun think so this pen is going to explore.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    I have doubt on this as there are some essential component and they have used minimum footprint on board.
    I am talking about pen design, there is still possibility to make it compact.
    Making a pen longer is better than making pen fatter, you know.(Even the area where we grip the pen is very thick)
    Thick pen makes it hard to write with. While long & thin pen doesn't matter much. They should adjust components in order of : Ink,Circuit & Battery.
    BTW, being honest, These Engineers are not good in 'adjusting' as we Indians are 😉
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    BTW, being honest, These Engineers are not good in 'adjusting' as we Indians are 😉
    May be because they are German and they focus on quality mainly. 😒
    Never doubt on German technology and specially embedded. 👀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree. Now after graduation no body write much and exams are going online or objective type.
    I think if there is subjective paper in future student will type or type by using voice recognition to answer those questions.

there should be invention to encourage writing smoother and make handwriting better.
    I encourage their effort but seems this is No-use invention to me.👀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    May be because they are German and they focus on quality mainly. 😒
    Never doubt on German technology and specially embedded. 👀
    Indian technology > German Technology, Period! Like it or not.
    Ah! We're jumping on different topic.
    But I still feels that it's possible to make it compact. There's always possibilities.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Kickstarter does it again.But what i concern is about the battery life time.
  • Rachel caroline
    Rachel caroline
    nice idea !!! 😁
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    CSK AUTO
    Kickstarter does it again.But what i concern is about the battery life time.
    Battery life time is not a big deal in these device Since there is not Rx and TX the battery is sure to last more than 3 days straight
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Few images here :

linux-smart-pen

It's not going to be comfortable for kids to use this pen.
  • Manthan Dadhania
    Manthan Dadhania
    Kaustubh Katdare

well
    u said that the key board and digitization technology are replacing the pens and pencils as a mainstream writing instruments as my point of view kids need to be learn proper writing and basic practice and this invention helps to make them a good learner(P.S mainly saving time to look in dictionary again and again...lol)
  • lal
    lal
    If the pen was longer with a thinner grip, all the components would have to be placed on the top. That makes the pen not comfortable to be balanced. The center of gravity will be some where above midway point of the pen. There will be a tendency for the pen to flip to the back of the palm holding it.

And that is one thing you never want to experience when writing. But a little thick grip can be put up with. They didn't make it so huge though, it's grip is rectangular shaped. Much better than a cylinder of larger diameter. I wouldn't say it is a bad design!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends, I am planning to buy new bike and for that I have sorted out two bikes one is Hero Spelndor and another is Honda Shine. I have also...
The engineers at the Indian Institute Of Science at Bangalore and IIT Bombay have helped Rolls Royce develop a low-noise technology that helps the jet engines operate at lower noise...
Leaks are becoming so common that one day,the term 'release' will be replaced by 'leaks'. Nope, I ain't kidding. Recently, the leaked image of most anticipated Acer's tablet is plagued...
HI guyz...my C-CAT rank is 81. please suggest me the best institute i must go and also tell me about the placements and pg's near CDAC pune and banglore. please...
Can someone tell me which is the toughest subject in mechanical engineering and what are the subjects are are considered difficult?