This is Facebook Privacy ....

FacebookSucks11
I wish , I would be in US, would have sued Facebook.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    This is one of the reason why i do not patronize facebook. it is a wolf in a sheep's skin.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Never tried Facebook. I created an account long ago out of curiosity and only use it to host the app that lets people login to this site.

Don't have a reason to spend hours on facebook.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    Never tried Facebook. I created an account long ago out of curiosity and only use it to host the app that lets people login to this site.

Don't have a reason to spend hours on facebook.
    good to hear that there is somebody besides me who can survive without facebook . i have a fb account too, (whose password i forgot, and is thus lying inactive for a long time, and i have never bothered), and this was created by a school friend of mine, who insisted that we stay in touch through that site.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's a personal choice though; but I don't get the idea, fun, thrill in having 324 friends on Facebook and keeping ourselves updated with their updates (Friend A is in bathroom, Friend B has bough a new pair of shoes and so on) - and I've never been interested in watching people's photos.

Leaves me with lot of time to utilize my time creatively 😉
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    (Friend A is in bathroom, Friend B has bough a new pair of shoes and so on)
    That is the most outrageous part of facebook.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I really didnt try too many privacy settings but facebook helps me o
    in keeping in touch with my friends at US
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ianoop
    FacebookSucks11
    I wish , I would be in US, would have sued Facebook.
    Pardon Me.
    Your incident remind of one of the conversation I had with my Group president (He is well experienced and aging around 65+). He told, "90% of the folks in the world doesn't understand how to use the feature and how it is designed and then start cursing the product & product owners can't help it. They live their life without tension"

I am NOT saying that you are right or wrong, but let me ask you few questions?
    - Your settings are showing that you have shared things with Friends - right?
    - Quite possible the mentioned family member is one of your friend's friend - Please confirm?
    - So if any of your friend would do any activity(In this example: like your status), and at the same time they had not applied any security settings; than all of his friends would see this status through your his activity (which was Like in this case) - did you get my point that how your family member would have seen this status?

So my theory says, your family member MUST not have seen this activity done by you, but he should have seen that one of his friend has liked the status of somebody. Make Sense?

To confirm this, see the other two likes on your status, I am sure that one of those two persons that liked your status would be mutual friend with this family member.

I may be wrong, but that's my theory.
    For all the critics of Facebook, believe me its not crap; that's the reason it is one of the most popular social networking channel in the world.

Also, please do not forget that NO SOFTWARE IS DEFECT FREE, so you can not sue them, they will simply say it is a defect and they have a escape got that you have signed their Terms & conditions.

-CB
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    From having seen my friends talk, I have realized that people don't really care about 'privacy'. - It is a mindless act for them really. "What do we have to hide?" - is what these people think. And it is impossible to convince them against it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Well, for me it's still a service fault. You don't want the end user to think all the possible combinations. If the switch says it's 'off' it has to be 'off'. If the privacy setting says do not share with your 'family' - then there should be no way a family member looks at the content you have shared. If the system allows you to do that - it's, as you know, is a bug 😀

I think Google+ has a better approach to solving this problem. They let you create circles and share stuff within a circle. So you decide which circle to share the news gets shared only in that circle and its members. If a family member is a part of your friend circle - then it gets shared and that's as the design.

Facebook's made it bit complicated, I guess.

PS: About suing: The terms and conditions these days are pretty one-sided for most of the companies. I'm not sure if one can sue Facebook for their privacy settings. But given the cash FB has in their bank accounts, it'd be foolish to sue the company; because even if you win, the total cost of the law suit would be enough to make someone bankrupt.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    How can I add someone to my ABC group without having them in my friend list. There is no way.
    This is just Facebook privacy fuzz...It not about software fault.(I don't think they would make mistake in simple sql query with NOT IN and IN clause)
    Facebook's made it(privacy setting) bit complicated.
    I agree with Big_K , Google+ has better approach of having different circles.
  • Umesh Kumar Rai
    Umesh Kumar Rai
    I guess, Google got the idea of making different circles by looking at the facebook privacy. In facebook, if you share or update something, everyone will get notified who is in your friend list. Wherein in google plus, you can even create private circle where you can chat/share privately.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm already out of the social networking game. But people haven't been complaining about the privacy settings on Google. So that's one thing they've got right (I guess). The other thing - there aren't many people using Google plus, despite Google saying that there are over 100 million active users.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

An engineer dies and reports to the pearly gates. St. Peter checks his dossier and says, "Ah, you're an engineer -- you're in the wrong place." So, the engineer reports...
https://news.softpedia.com/news/Play...-in-2013-According-to-New-Report-262600.shtml
i m 3rd year cs engineering student. and i want a suggestion for doing a project in C. kindly help me.
Hello friends, I'm shamini. Glad to be a part of this community. It looks very useful and informative.
The IFWE Challenge is a massive social conversation contest to stimulate the most innovative, ambitious and awesome “IF WE Dreams”. The winners will be rewarded with prize values up to...