Think Out of the Box - First define the Box - Assumption Storming

It is the in thing to say think Out of the Box. But do we know what is the box that is confining our thinking?
It may be necessary to define the box first. Assumption storming, writing down what are the assumptions behind the invention or design is cricial to break away from limitations.

Quote:
“Once you write down the assumptions that are blocking you, once you identify them, you can question them,” Lauchner, who focuses on spinal and biologic products for Medtronic, promised.
Endquote

The talk is about medical design. The concept is universally applicable.
Interesting concept. Needs study.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting indeed. I think Edward De Bono popularised the term thinking out of the box with his 'Lateral Thinking' book. I'm not sure if this really helps in solving problems. 😕
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    For me it started at Andhra 'Varsity in 1957 with the new brain storming technique developed by Alex Osborne.
    Alex Faickney Osborn

I religiously followed it. Still do, though, modified by Debono's methods. Another big jump came with Tony Buzan's Mind Maps. They are all in my "think tank tool kit' now. The use of these tools is almost automatic. They are a great help.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dreamliner Battery problems have thrown up interest in alternatives. Batteries are best charged at moderate currents to prevent overheating , explosion and plain poor efficiency. Capacitors on the other hand...
i got an admission in CDAC tica for the course of DIVESD if any other guys got there,u can cont. me by mail. so we can get in cont. &...
suppose if the value of MinLapDiference of the matched images is some value how to find the image is front face,side face or person wearing specs.
how bridge will construct on sea with wooden on low cost
pls suggest me some electronics and communication tech fest names👎