The world's largest solar plant is killing birds melting them with heat

The downside of large scale concentrated beam solar thermal power generation:

Quote: The world's largest solar plant is awesome—unless you're a bird like the one in this image published by the corporation BrightSource Energy. This bird flew over the plant and was killed by its deadly heat levels, which can reach 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit (537C). Apparently, this was expected. Endquote

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Ah ! This is really sad news. Similar situation is with Bats when they are flying in night and used to hit wind-mill but now a days they are working on system which prevent similar situation by shutting down wind-mill when there is Bat around.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ..so are mobile towers distorting birds 'view' of the world. As I recon, birds view the world in electromagnetic vision and towers only distort the view.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Yes, Harshad, that could be an issue too.
    Bats at least have a sonar echo detectors which usually helps them in avoiding obstructions larger than a particular size. Domestic 3 Phase supply lines overhead are below the resolution of this. Bats with large wing spans do get electrocuted when they fly through the over head lines.
    The huge crisscross EM waves that are all pervading at least in urban areas should be confusing the direction finding system of many birds as Durga says.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Wondering if, this is so harmful to birds. This plant might be dangerous for ozone layer.
    I wish there could be production of simplified small plant for single or few homes, like generator sets. Just buy fit and use electricity.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The mirrors are plain mirrors. The reflected light from each is actually slightly less intense than the incoming solar radiation. But when millions of such mirrors are aligned to one receiving boiler the energy level is stupendous. This is safely absorbed by the special IR absorbing boiler surfaces and produce steam. The passing birds cannot see the beam. Those that accidentally cross the beam will be instantly blinded and cannot escape.

Unfortunately the collector array covers a very large territory and there is no way of preventing such events. Generally such stations are located in deserts with very little vegetation. Most living things are terrestrial creatures.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    i just realised when I say electromagnetic vision, I meant electromagnetic feild , as nomal light too is EM wave right??? -_-
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    durga
    i just realised when I say electromagnetic vision, I meant electromagnetic feild , as nomal light too is EM wave right??? -_-
    Right you are!
    Pigeons were used as messengers in the past as they have EMF detectors behind their ears. These may certainly get confused. However, they can tap into the internet for Google Maps perhaps. So all may not be lost.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    A.V.Ramani
    Yes, Harshad, that could be an issue too.
    Bats at least have a sonar echo detectors which usually helps them in avoiding obstructions larger than a particular size. Domestic 3 Phase supply lines overhead are below the resolution of this. Bats with large wing spans do get electrocuted when they fly through the over head lines.
    The huge crisscross EM waves that are all pervading at least in urban areas should be confusing the direction finding system of many birds as Durga says.
    Yes, Their ultrasound helps them but still they misguided by rotating blades and many bats gets killed.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's a common problem for almost every solar plant. I wrote about this in a news that we covered: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HealthKartPlus is really nice app to find out the generic medicine for the medicine you are already using. Here is the link for the android app :- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aranoah.healthkart.plus&hl=en Here my...
Could you help me to choose ps form this website https://ohmps.com/ I need the one for industrial purposes
Be that as it may, a hot cuppa of the good ol' caffeine for me. ☕ ☕ ☕ Quote: Sure, a cup of joe can boost your alertness and help...
If Gavin Millard, who is the technical director EMEA at Tenable Network Security, is capable of this insecure activity what about dummies like me? https://www.tgdaily.com/enterprise/124911-password-confessions-of-a-security-expert
heya guys i just wanted to know which is more useful ? Vertical axis wind turbines or the common horizontal ones. .because i hear various opinions about it !Some say...