The Tech of saving lives – Anti booby-trap car bomb detector.

bomb

I’ve been testing this recently; It’s an Anti booby-trap under or in car bomb detector. Northern Ireland security forces issue 1986 to 1996. It detected everything from the simple biscuit tin bomb, to mercury tilt switches that were placed under or inside the cars of members of the security forces, by the IRA and INLA. And it saved a few lives down the years.

It done away with getting on the knees to look under the car for a device and starting the car with the door open!. As the IRA bomb making skills got more sophisticated, to the point where it was just no longer viable to look under the car, as many of the bombs were being placed out of sight or indeed inside the car. This was fitted to the cars and had a series of light indicators that would and did warn the person of a device being placed.

The siren part of it was on a different power circuit, but linked for tampering. If the power to the car or device was cut, the siren would sound to indicate tampering of the device itself. There are other smaller parts and wires in bag.

It came out of my Fathers car, as the IRA tried to murder him three times.

This is a local BBC news report on the device and the current threat in my country, as they might be making a comeback.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Is it in working condition?
  • sickboy
    sickboy
    It is yes, when I get the time I'm going to install it in my car and test it.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    sickboy
    It is yes, when I get the time I'm going to install it in my car and test it.
    Share the snap when you are going to install it in CAR and also about its performance. 😀
  • sickboy
    sickboy
    I'll do a wee video, just need to find the time now, always an issue.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Researchers at University of Buffalo with funding from India's Tata Steel have developed a graphene based composite that can make the steel go rust free for over a month when...
If you are a James Bond fan, then you *must* watch this new trailer of the upcoming James Bond Movie - Skyfall. The producers of the movie had said that...
So can anyone tell me how a controller for a PMDC motor is used. How is it connected to the motor and what are the parameters that it can control....
Facetime - the popular video chat application on Apple's platform may soon be getting ready to work on 3G networks. Until now the app only worked over wi-fi connections; but...
Want to stream 'Sony Music' to iOS devices like iPhone and iPod Touch. Premium subscribers can choose any album or song from our massive catalog, or sit back and enjoy...