The single phase induction motor

If a capacitor of equal microfarads is connected in parallel with the existing capacitor of a single phase induction motor, then the speed increases drastically.

then,

1) does this increase the torque of the motor as well.

2) if 3 or more capacitors of the same rating are connected in parallel, then will this damage the motor ?

Replies

• grsalvi
    grsalvi
    zaveri
    If a capacitor of equal microfarads is connected in parallel with the existing capacitor of a single phase induction motor, then the speed increases drastically.

then,

1) does this increase the torque of the motor as well.

2) if 3 or more capacitors of the same rating are connected in parallel, then will this damage the motor ?
    Zaveri we already discussed in a post, i believe same is true for your question asked now.See this post :

#-Link-Snipped-#

Now for your other question :

1.The increase or decrease in torque depends upon the shift which your capacitor introduces.

2.I donot think so it will damage motor however stop proper functioning of motor.

Just note one thing that , the only intention of capacitor in single phase induction motor is to convert its stationary magnetic field into rotating one .

However for speed control we use AC regulators.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    grsalvi
    1.The increase or decrease in torque depends upon the shift which your capacitor introduces.

\

What is "shift" ? can you elaborate ?
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    zaveri
    What is "shift" ? can you elaborate ?

The term shift refers to the phase shift which is introduced in starting winding of single phase induction motor.

Actually a single phase induction motor has two windings ,one is called main and another starting purpose.
    Since we cant achieve a rotating magnetic field with single phase supply.

So the single phase supply is fed to two windings : main and auxiliary winding (starting winding ) . The auxiliary winding (starting winding ) has capacitor connected to it,hence its current leads that of main winding.
    This is as if two windings are receiving two different phases of supply.

Hence a rotating magnetic field is produced which rotates rotor by principle if induction.

So you see that main purpose of capacitor was to produce a leading current phase supply in auxiliary winding (starting winding ).
  • naveee
    naveee
    capacitor is only used to increase the torque........rotation magnetic field is produced by the magnetic windings...... the how capacitor is used to convert stationary magnetic field into rotating one .??? #-Link-Snipped-#
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    naveee
    capacitor is only used to increase the torque........rotation magnetic field is produced by the magnetic windings...... the how capacitor is used to convert stationary magnetic field into rotating one .??? #-Link-Snipped-#
    Winding are capable of producing rotating magnetic field in case of 3 phase induction motor.

A minimum of two different phases are necessary to produce rotating magnetic field.
    Now to get two phase supply in single phase induction motor , we use capacitor (or inductance ).

As far as torque effect of capacitor is concerned ,it is secondary use of capacitor and used in capacitor -run single phase induction motor.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    naveee
    Current associated with the conductor is what generates the magnetic flux
    Next the capacitor offers a phase shift when current flows through it

As a result the current through the auxilary windings are 90 out of phase with that in the primary winding

This is needed to make the motor run

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It appears that gaming can add ten years to one's life span. At 73 I am not too enamoured to add ten years more to whatever is left for me....
Quote: In a new study, a team of researchers from South Korea, Japan, and the UK has fabricated a half-adder logic circuit using just five transistors Their paper, titled "One...
Here is mouth watering basket of gadgets and more including a camera, which lets you shoot first and focus later! I am glad that I am not a gadget freak....
can anyone can help me? i do not understand about that
This is perhaps the first convertible Windows 8 tablet entering the Indian market. The Vaio Duo 11 SVD11213CNmodel to be launched in India has Windows 8 in it. Other tech...