the next american motor sports company

hi call me torque.

i am 18(almost 19) and i am graduating high school in december. curently i posses nearly no experiance in engineering. my only knowlege of engineering is what i have read about the design of specific motorcycles.

motorcycles is a big thing for me and i was wanting to get into engineering these 2 wheeled wonders. but first i need to get some engineering education and some real world experiance.

Erik Buell and John Britten were two rolemodels for me. they both built inovative motorcycles but sadly things went bad for both of them. Erik's company was shut down by harley davidson and John had died of skin cancer.

I don't particularly care where i start in engineering so long as it has to deal with cars/motorcycles

i dont know where to begin my quest for knowledge but i was hoping you could all help me along the way.

my goal in life is to build an american motorsports company.

but first i need an education.

they say harley davidson built their first motorcycle using a soup can to build the carburetor. at that point neither harley or davidson knew much about engines but it was a start that helped in the long run when one of them decided to get a proper education.

i'm open minded.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE. I believe CEan Gohm is the right man to guide you. Let's wait for his response πŸ˜€ .
  • torque
    torque
    The_Big_K
    Welcome to CE. I believe CEan Gohm is the right man to guide you. Let's wait for his response πŸ˜€ .
    thank you. i'm sorry if my punctuation and grammar is not good. unfortunatly that was a class i didn't do so well in lol

if i remember corectly engineering required skills in geometry. i however am doing rather well in that class.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Don't worry about grammar or punctuation. Yes engineering does require skills in geometry. Good to hear that you made a decision early in life to opt for engineering.
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    hi.welcome to CE........

nice to learn that you have a genuine interest in motorcycles.......only genuine interest can bring success ...so keep it up...........
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Wonderful πŸ˜€

Welcome to CE πŸ˜€
  • priyank_180
    priyank_180
    Welcome to our CE family..😁
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Weclome to CE. Quite and interesting introduction.
  • inbapuvi
    inbapuvi
    Welcome to CE
  • gohm
    gohm
    Hey welcome to CE! You have brought up one of my favorite subjects, motorcycles. I was sad to hear the news Buell is closing, tough times. Hopefully HD will make some room for Erik. I am pleased to know the legacy of John Britten is still going strong, what an amazing guy he was. Development of highly efficient internal combustion engines as well as full electric/hydrogen powered bikes would be a great area to develope. In the future I can imagine motorcycles and cars merging together for the urban environment as population density increases creating very small inclosed vehicles that lean (of which there are several prototypes already)

Start off with the basics. Select a good school that meets your needs. This does not mean it needs to be exclusive or expensive. Take lots of math & science classes plus your basic liberal arts. Next take some mechanical & electrical engineering courses as well as design/art. This will help you deside if your interest is in the engineering aspect or the concept design area. Even though these two aspects are very different and most people only focus on one, having some knowledge of the other will only make you better and more skilled. While in school spend some spare time working on bikes. Some basic mechanics experience will help you to apply theory to practice.
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    Weclome to CE

Crazy introduction buddy
  • torque
    torque
    gohm
    Hey welcome to CE! You have brought up one of my favorite subjects, motorcycles. I was sad to hear the news Buell is closing, tough times. Hopefully HD will make some room for Erik. I am pleased to know the legacy of John Britten is still going strong, what an amazing guy he was. Development of highly efficient internal combustion engines as well as full electric/hydrogen powered bikes would be a great area to develope. In the future I can imagine motorcycles and cars merging together for the urban environment as population density increases creating very small inclosed vehicles that lean (of which there are several prototypes already)

Start off with the basics. Select a good school that meets your needs. This does not mean it needs to be exclusive or expensive. Take lots of math & science classes plus your basic liberal arts. Next take some mechanical & electrical engineering courses as well as design/art. This will help you deside if your interest is in the engineering aspect or the concept design area. Even though these two aspects are very different and most people only focus on one, having some knowledge of the other will only make you better and more skilled. While in school spend some spare time working on bikes. Some basic mechanics experience will help you to apply theory to practice.

when i decided to start working on the motorsports company i know i would have to start getting engines from somewhere else. rotax caught my eye. rotax has built some good engines.

before i start on the powerplant for the bike i wanted to work with the frame,swingarm, aero dynamics, cooling system. things of that nature.

everything but the actual engine. several companies actually do this already. i wanted to start out with my first bike having the 1125 helicon engine that was in the 1125r buell. that engine was built by rotax.

from my knowlege i have obtained reading about motorcycles and from my personal use i have an idea that i'll present later for what i want.

as for engines that are efficiant. i think a whole new fuel replenishable source should be found. i have on my list of things to do looking at alternative fuel. from what i have heard from afreind of mine there is a fuell made from hemp that requires no engine modifications to run it in your car. even better that it is drinkable. sounds to good to be true. but that information came today.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Nice introduction..!

welcome to our CE family...!
  • gohm
    gohm
    There is a diesel klr650 which is made for the US marine corps. (all their vehicles run on av gas) which can also be found in Canada. I thought a good project would be to convert one of these over to run on veg oil. Plus bio diesel would also be an option. There is some promising work being done with electric bikes as well.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello friends , I have a labtop which is vista based . visual c++ is not compatible with it . Is this problem can be sort out..
Hi... We want toe design a boat which is chargeable with a solar panel. The allowed rating is 12volts. We want to use a solar engine which consists of chargeable...
Which is the best Institute for Mtech In Biotechnolgy in India ? I've completed my Btech in BioTechnolgy and need suggestions for higher education plans in BT! Also need details...
Im a student trying to go about a project idea, a temperature based car security sytem, i need help on how to go about it.
Hey I heard from my friend that Acer is going to launch Acer 5738 PzG. I heard it’s a Multi-touch laptop.😁 Is it true? Is it going to be gamer...