CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@aarthivg • 15 Apr, 2012
Today, one of our lecturers asked this question in classroom. It was - What is the magnetic equivalent of ohm's law? I am clueless about the answer to this. Can some CEan explain?
@silverscorpion • 15 Apr, 2012 • 1 like Ohm's law:

E = IR where E is the EMF, I is the current and R the resistance.

Hopkinson's law

F = ΦR[sub]m[/sub] where F is the MMF, Φ is the magnetic flux and R[sub]m[/sub] the magnetic reluctance

Just as Ohm's law relates the EMF across an element in a circuit to the current flowing through that element, Hopkinson's law relates the MMF (MagnetoMotive Force) across a magnetic element in a circuit to the magnetic flux through that element. The constant corresponding to electrical resistance in Ohm's law, is magnetic reluctance in Hopkinson's law..
@aarthivg • 15 Apr, 2012
silverscorpion
Ohm's law:

E = IR where E is the EMF, I is the current and R the resistance.

Hopkinson's law

F = ΦR[sub]m[/sub] where F is the MMF, Φ is the magnetic flux and R[sub]m[/sub] the magnetic reluctance

Just as Ohm's law relates the EMF across an element in a circuit to the current flowing through that element, Hopkinson's law relates the MMF (MagnetoMotive Force) across a magnetic element in a circuit to the magnetic flux through that element. The constant corresponding to electrical resistance in Ohm's law, is magnetic reluctance in Hopkinson's law..
Actually this question was asked in an exam.
the options are
lens law
faradays law
rowlands law
maxwells law
@silverscorpion • 15 Apr, 2012 ^^ Then the answer would be Rowland's law.. It seems Hopkinson's law is also called Rowland's law.

In that same Wiki page, there is an analogy of various elements in magnetic and electric circuits. Refer that..
4.1k views

Related Posts

@Manish Sheoran · Oct 2, 2010

I heared Oscillator is a device which generates sinewaves signals and generator is one generates sawtooth, triangular or square wave.IN functions we use generators to produce electricity, and i think...
6.9k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Apr 14, 2015

A missile (or a meteor) hitting the ground can cause a lot of destruction above the ground. The harder you hit, the more the damage; but that didn't apply to...
3.7k views

@Joe walter · Jan 28, 2016

Any plz give me some ideas for mini project in mechanical
3.4k views

@Ankita Katdare · Dec 7, 2014

As mechanical engineers & graduates set out to learn the CAD software, they are often confused as to which software to choose. The popular ones being, CAD, Solidworks and Pro/Engineer,...
12.2k views

@Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran · Aug 9, 2013

🎉 UGC(university Grants Commision) has announced that A student who is pursuing a B.sc course can apply for B.Tech and those who is pursuing engineering degree can apply for bachelor...
6k views