CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@aarthivg • 15 Apr, 2012
Today, one of our lecturers asked this question in classroom. It was - What is the magnetic equivalent of ohm's law? I am clueless about the answer to this. Can some CEan explain?
@silverscorpion • 15 Apr, 2012 • 1 like Ohm's law:

E = IR where E is the EMF, I is the current and R the resistance.

Hopkinson's law

F = ΦR[sub]m[/sub] where F is the MMF, Φ is the magnetic flux and R[sub]m[/sub] the magnetic reluctance

Just as Ohm's law relates the EMF across an element in a circuit to the current flowing through that element, Hopkinson's law relates the MMF (MagnetoMotive Force) across a magnetic element in a circuit to the magnetic flux through that element. The constant corresponding to electrical resistance in Ohm's law, is magnetic reluctance in Hopkinson's law..
@aarthivg • 15 Apr, 2012
silverscorpion
Ohm's law:

E = IR where E is the EMF, I is the current and R the resistance.

Hopkinson's law

F = ΦR[sub]m[/sub] where F is the MMF, Φ is the magnetic flux and R[sub]m[/sub] the magnetic reluctance

Just as Ohm's law relates the EMF across an element in a circuit to the current flowing through that element, Hopkinson's law relates the MMF (MagnetoMotive Force) across a magnetic element in a circuit to the magnetic flux through that element. The constant corresponding to electrical resistance in Ohm's law, is magnetic reluctance in Hopkinson's law..
Actually this question was asked in an exam.
the options are
lens law
faradays law
rowlands law
maxwells law
@silverscorpion • 15 Apr, 2012 ^^ Then the answer would be Rowland's law.. It seems Hopkinson's law is also called Rowland's law.

In that same Wiki page, there is an analogy of various elements in magnetic and electric circuits. Refer that..
1.8k views

Related Posts

@Shiyam Sundhar.N · Sep 16, 2012

Hi guys, Can you send list of electrical business with low initial capital?
30.1k views

@Ankita Katdare · Oct 15, 2013

IDoc stands for Intermediate Document in SAP. It is nothing but a SAP Document format that is used for Business transaction data transfers. For us technical people, we can understand...
2.3k views

@Anuj Pratap Singh · Mar 1, 2015

Project Abstract / Summary : As the conventional steering system i.e. two wheel steering system fails to meet the challenge of improving steering response and vehicle stability at certain speed....
3k views

@pikachu1994 · Oct 3, 2012

What is hacking?is hacking different from ethical hacking.If so what is the difference?
5.5k views

@Ankita Katdare · Oct 16, 2013

HCL has a series of HCL Me products that it launches with a set of target audience in mind. This time around it has come up with the HCL ME...
1.7k views