The Food Thread

A cursory search for the keywords 'The Food Thread' on this forum didn't reveal anything similar , hence starting this.

Well this thread takes inspiration from the #-Link-Snipped-# , hope it gains at least a fraction of the popularity of that thread.

As we all know , in the current state of technology , human beings haven't been able to leave their biological suits and become transformers or something similar. The end result being that each human being has a stomach to fill. Engineers are no exception , even the more geeky ones are reported to have left their computers at some point in their life and gone to have a snack or two.

So , let us discuss that quintessential part of human life and culture, namely food.
We could talk abut recipes , restaurants ; roadside food, 5-star food ; vegetarian food , non - vegetarian food ; exotic food , local food ; health food , not-so healthy food. Post videos of anything tasty that you come across on the net. Or reviews of restaurants. You could also discuss relative prices of various foods or their calorie content.

Just make sure of one thing - this is a thread for 'food for the stomach' not for 'food for thought'. We have ample threads for the latter.

Mods , if there is a similar thread, merge the posts from here to there if it is possible and close this one. Sorry , if I created a redundant thread.

Replies

• circularsquare
    circularsquare
    I will set the ball rolling by posting something healthy.
    A recipe for making soy-milk at home using soy beans. Soy milk is very affordable if made at home. A liter of soy milk if you buy it in the market ready-made costs 80 INR. In this method you could DIY for 12-13 INR at home. All you need is a blender/ mixer , soy beans and water.

Soy milk is a healthy vegan and economic alternative to cow milk or buffalo milk.Other than calcium , it contains everything that milk contains.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    There are a few threads related to FOOD😍,
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

But this one looks a bit similar:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

For the Soy milk recipe. 👍
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    Dancer_Engineer
    There are a few threads related to FOOD😍,
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

But this one looks a bit similar:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

For the Soy milk recipe. 👍
    It really seems that I goofed up. Should have searched for these. 😔
  • sowjitha
    sowjitha
    Nice stuff
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    circularsquare
    It really seems that I goofed up. Should have searched for these. 😔
    Never mind!
    Keep the recipes coming! 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, I'd have started a dedicated thread to the best food item of all time -Pav Bhaji. But I'd personally look forward to amazing Pav Bhaji preparation methods in this thread.

Pav-Bhaji

Whoever invented that dish gets my hug.
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    There is an interesting history behind the invention of Pao Bhaji.
    The origin of this dish is traced to the heyday of the textile mills in Mumbai. The mill workers used to have lunch breaks too short for a full meal, and a light lunch was preferred to a heavy one, as the employees had to return to strenuous physical labor after lunch. A vendor created this dish using items or parts of other dishes available on the menu. Roti or rice was replaced with pav and the curries that usually go with Indian bread or rice were amalgamated into just one spicy concoction, the 'bhaji'. Initially, it remained the food of the mill-workers. With time the dish found its way into restaurants and spread over Central Mumbai and other parts of the city via the Udipi restaurants. Pav Bhaji Cite Note Mi 1Pav Bhaji Cite Note 2
    Such is the popularity of this dish, that it is common to find it on the menu of most Indian restaurants serving fast food in Asia (especially Singapore, Hong Kong), America, UK (London), Switzerland and elsewhere.
    Pav Bhaji History

So now you know whom to hug . 😉
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare

Better than string theory. 😉
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    The_Big_K
    Okay, I'd have started a dedicated thread to the best food item of all time -Pav Bhaji. But I'd personally look forward to amazing Pav Bhaji preparation methods in this thread.

Pav-Bhaji

Feeling Hungry....😛
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    Has anybody ever tasted 'Ponkh' - it is a Gujarati rural snack but I have also seen it in Vidarbha and MP.
    'Ponkh' is actually made by roasting fresh millet (Jowar) seeds . Then the roasted Jowar seeds are eaten as it is. A unique dish, simple stuff which poor farmers eat in rural India. But tastes really good.

—the harvesting of tiny, emerald beads of young jowar called ponkh. The jowar is of a special variety that grows best—yes, you've guessed right—near Surat.

Once you've eaten tender ponkh with three flavours of crisp sev, including the tantalisingly titled limbumarini (lime and pepper), tiny sugar balls and a tangy chutney made with the green garlic Surtis love, you'll never lust for bhelpuri again.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K

Pav-Bhaji

Me me me! 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Guys I felt the paper very easy.I think it was easy then last year also.May be the cut off of this year will me 31 marks. I am getting 45...
We design and develop everything you think of as a machine - from supersonic fighter jets to bicycles to toasters. And We are praised as Mechanical Engineers ! ! !...
Hey guys... What are the softwares needed for analysis of a Weldment? Any free softwares?
I know diamond is the hardest MINERAL known to man but is there any other material that is harder?
I think that India should compete with china in infrastructure because there is nothing that India cannot do. But until and unless these politicians are there India cannot or will...