The farthest that Hubble Telescope has seen so far- 3% time from Big Bang

The Big Bang happened about 13.7 Billion years back. Astronomers working with the Hubble telescope have looked deep into the eye of the universe and have come up with a seventh Galaxy that is just about 3% time from the Big Bang. Christened with the staid name UDFj-39546284, it is the oldest object detected so far.
It is a matter of great wonder and deeply humbling that we are able to intercept light that has been travelling more than 13 billion years from 13 billion light years distance. Maybe also a small pat on the back that the engineering skills are able to make the Hubble that lets us see all this.

Hubble Space Telescope achieves deepest cosmic view yet - BBC News

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If it is, it's a great discovery! I've often wondered, how they do it. Any insights, anyone?
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Well the only question i have is - why the Universe is so BIG ???๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    grsalvi
    Well the only question i have is - why the Universe is so BIG ???๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜€
    ....let's say because the God doesn't waste time on Facebook.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    ....let's say because the God doesn't waste time on Facebook.
    That almost matches Einstein's 'God doesn't play dice'.
  • lal
    lal
    Always wanted to ask, does universe have a boundary? If yes, what is beyond it? A bigger universe? ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Consider a circle, that is, the actual circumference line defined by the equation x^2 + y^2 = c^2.
    Is it finite? It is. Its length is 2 Pi c. Yet it has no beginning or end.

Likewise our universe is a space - time continuum. Finite, expanding yet without a beginning or end.
    However, that is one view. Can our universe be infinite? May be. We do not know. If it is expanding, where is it expanding? May be it is creating new space to expand into.

Can there be other universes. We just do not know. All that we now talk about is what our instruments tell us. From known facts we try to extrapolate based on our prior knowledge.
    There are lots of conjectures. No concrete evidence.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    so to say, incase the universe is expanding , how do scientists make sure they have not intercepted the same light what they did few yrs ago?? also may be in furture (while we still recive the oldest galaxies light) scientists might actually be able intercept the intial rays (say they are still on their way to earth , given their farther distance).

PS: just another foto album #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I have this in mind Don't galaxies very far of get red shifted How will they be spotted

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey why not add members to the members list only after a person verifies his/her own e-mail Id Cos often I have seen people who do the registering and they...
hi all engineers; how can i program the plc to control a matrix of led lights or a matrix i want to drill with an automatic drilling machine
So,we had a debate on the entitled topic,on www.rapgenius.com/discussions/15520-Hip-hop-almost-died (Mods please don't remove link,this is no ad ๐Ÿ˜€ ) What you CEans feel about this ? let's not concentrate only...
I am a student of university college of engineering and Im currently doing my 2nd year civil in engineering and i would like to gain knowledge on my field and...
I am studying final year mechanical engineering. I have plan to do M.S through GRE. For that exam they need me to do any research related to my studies ....