The electrical input of an automobile alternator.

The rotor of the alternator, does not contain a permanent magnet , but a coil with pole pieces arrangement, which then serves as an electromagnet.

but in order to make this into an electromagnet, some electrical input is required, and this is supplied to it through the "F" or "I" terminal of the alternator, from the ignition.

now my question is,

1) how much is this input, when compared to the overall output of the alternator ?

2) why aren't permanent magnets used ? is it due to the fact that magnets lose their magnetism at high temperatures ?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    And another thing, are alternators using permanent magnets, available in the market ?

tagging

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I guess the law is called faraday's law. The principle states that voltage generated is directly proportional to rate of change of magnetic field. The magnetic field is set up with the help of moving coil, pole arrangement. We use temporary magnets because what we are interested in is the rate of change and not magnetic field permanently set up. For this the magnetic flux should be cut by the coils at variable speeds.

Yes, permanent magnets lose magnetism at high temperatures, but we can take care of that by providing fins (read cooling arrangements). High temperature is perhaps the secondary reason that we are not using permanent magnets.

I am not aware of any permanent magnet alternator in market. May be some electrical engineer help us.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    When I was a little boy (late 1940s) I had a large and heavy horse shoe permanent magnet that was part of a car's generator. In the early days of cars these were what were used. They were called magnetos.

They were bulky and heavy. The commutator used to give trouble and breakdowns were common. When bridge rectifiers became common the much lighter and trouble free 'Alternators' became common. Only the much smaller excitation current is carried by the slip rings, so they run trouble free.

Read the section on Automotive alternators here:
    Alternator

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Guys please help me out with this..im searchin for an android project for my final year and this one seem to have caught my interest..i got the vague idea about...
I AM A SECOND YEAR ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT I WANT TO UTILIZE MY WINTER BY DOING SOME TRAINING PLZ HELP WHAT WOULD BE BEST PLZ ALSO TELL WHAT TO DO...
HI I am Siddharth Santhamoorthy, doing my BE Electrical and Electronics Engineering in Thiagarajar College of Engg Madurai... I am interested in quizzing, reading manga etc.
If you're a fan of the Google's Nexus series phones, then the good news is that LG Nexus 4 (E960) will be coming to India around November 30. Saholic -...
So we have the sports utility vehicle (SUV) of motorcycles with the 'Brutus' - not to be confused with the Brutus electric motorcycle. The Brutus sports a 750 cc liquid-cooled,...