the differential

the differential as most of us know is a device on the rear axle of a car.

it varies the speed of the wheels on the same axle during turning for reducing tire wear, a smooth turning etc etc.

it is a complex , yet an interesting mechanism.

what i am interested in knowing is , are there any other machines , apart from autos which make use of the differential

Replies

• Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    the differentials are also used in mills with multiple axes you can easily control torque by varying speed of each axes using differential. They are also used in machine guns for fire control.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    S.mukherjee
    the differentials are also used in mills with multiple axes you can easily control torque by varying speed of each axes using differential. They are also used in machine guns for fire control.
    you mean the milling machines ?

and in what way do machine guns make use of it ? i would be curious to know

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bangladeshi economist Muhammad Yunus runs one of the few socially responsible banks in the world: Grameen Bank, which provides small loans to poor people and entrepreneurs with no collateral to...
Ideas that spread, Win. - A simple phrase that makes an impact. This phrase starts to re-arrange, shift your mindset. You don't need to read a whole book, you don't...
Hello CEans, As we know there are many CEans who have interesting signatures. CEans share their blog/website links, quotes etc.. via signature so here CE is launching a contest -...
I came across this article on GigaOM's blog, where they quoted Bill Gates words from Wall Street Journal’s Eco:nomics conference, "We need “energy miracles,” or break through innovation, in at...
If I wake up tomorrow and there is no Google, what difference will it make to our lives? We used to use Google 'primarily' to search things. There are plenty...