The Body Extender - Wearable Exoskeleton Designed To Save Lives

A human wearable robot has been developed by Italian Engineers. This robot consist of parts similar to that of human body and are designed to fit a human being perfectly. It is known as “The Body Extender” and has been developed at the Perceptual Robotics Laboratory (Percro), part of the Pica’s Scuolo Superiore Sant’Anna.

Robot_1
be-1

Fabio Salsedo, the project's lead, says that it has the most complex wearable structure which can handle most complex movements of human body. Along with this he shared that it can handle force 10 times more than an average human being can handle and can record intricate movements (i.e complex movements) of human beings. The robot has the ability to lift 50 kg (i.e 7st 12lb) in each hands and has 22 degree of freedom which can be very useful to assemble an aircraft. You just need to lift the panel and rotate it and fix it in right position. This exoskeletons can be very useful for soldiers to carry weights of around 90kg in field and also during earthquakes to rescue victims without damaging them. Prof. Chris Melhuish, Director, Bristol Laboratory believes that it is very fast growing technology and its functionality depends on what you want to do and to what degree you want it to be autonomous.​

soilder_1

The Body Extender is one such example. We have another one called Powerload of Panasonic which has the ability to lift a total of 100kg and walk 8kph i.e 5mph. Panasonic is planning to bring this Powerloader in 2015 which will be very helpful especially in factories.

This is an amazing technology and can be very useful many ways. What do you think about it? Share with us in comments below.

Source: Rise of the human exoskeletons - BBC News

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey everyone. I own Sony Ericsson Ray (ST18i) with android version 4.0.4. Earlier it was android version 2.0 which I upgraded to the version 4. Due to it, my phone...
Android users, here is a piece of good news for you. A special USB drive will make your task of moving files from phones or tablets to PC easier. Leef’s...
Similar to the iOS Store app, the Google Play Store will now ask you to provide with a password every time you make a purchase. Earlier, passwords were required only...
Earlier this year, at the Mobile World Congress WhatsApp had announced it will soon launch VoIP calls, shortly after Facebook bought the company for $19 billion and looks like the...
Another luxury vehicle is now waiting for Indian customers! German car manufacturing giant BMW unveiled its 3 Series Gran Turismo recently in a BMW exclusive dealership KUN Exclusive in Chennai....