The Big K's Generic Interview Questions & Answers Thread - Ask Anything!

This is my thread to answer all generic questions commonly asked in Interviews (for both experienced and fresh graduates). I'm obviously not going to answer technical questions in this thread, but I invite all your doubts & questions regarding how to face any damn Interview out there. Success is guaranteed. Fire your questions at me and I'll answer all of them.

If you appeared for an Interview and got rejected, share your situation with me. I'll analyze and give you feedback. The thread is open to your questions.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    This question is very common when you are changing the job,

Why you want to change the job? I think this question have some diplomatic answer isn't it?
  • andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24
    i have one question...why do software companies recruit even ECE, EEE and Mechanical students along with CSE and IT people....the stuff that these people learn in their 4 years of B-tech is not at all related to software field....but why do the software companies do so????? plz say me the reason?????
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    godfather
    This question is very common when you are changing the job,

Why you want to change the job? I think this question have some diplomatic answer isn't it?
    Well, unless you've a secret agenda for changing the job; I don't think one should tell the right reason. There's no 'diplomatic' answer as such. When I was a software engineer, I quit my job and remained unemployed for 6 months and then got interview call from Infosys. I didn't hide anything from the Interviewers and informed them why I took a break and how I utilized it. The interviewers were impressed and I was offered a job. I however joined another company ๐Ÿ˜€ which I quit afterwards to be an entrepreneur.

Being honest works.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    andenagaveni24
    i have one question...why do software companies recruit even ECE, EEE and Mechanical students along with CSE and IT people....the stuff that these people learn in their 4 years of B-tech is not at all related to software field....but why do the software companies do so????? plz say me the reason?????
    That's true in the context of Indian Software IT companies. The straightforward answer is that because Indian IT companies don't really need 'engineers'. The work they offer to their employees can easily be done by a person trained by them in the first 3 months of joining. That's a sad part of Indian IT - it doesn't require 'software engineers', but only needs 'coders'. That's why we see B.Sc, M.Sc and others being recruited in IT companies. Lot of people realize this after joining IT Industry. Indians are being 'fooled' by calling them 'software engineers'. Unfortunately, I'm yet to see a software company that requires 'software engineers'. Thanks to 'Outsourced' IT jobs that leaves Indian engineers doing 'non Software Engineering' jobs.

I might be harsh in words, but that's more or less the reality. People may object to it. Show me 'Microsoft', 'Google', 'Facebook' & 'Twitter' coming out of India. India doesn't have any. If any software engineer wants really 'techie' stuff to work on - the best bet is to join a Software Products Startup company. That's where the real 'software engineering' happens.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    The_Big_K
    Well, unless you've a secret agenda for changing the job; I don't think one should tell the right reason. There's no 'diplomatic' answer as such. When I was a software engineer, I quit my job and remained unemployed for 6 months and then got interview call from Infosys. I didn't hide anything from the Interviewers and informed them why I took a break and how I utilized it. The interviewers were impressed and I was offered a job. I however joined another company ๐Ÿ˜€ which I quit afterwards to be an entrepreneur.

Being honest works.

Thanks Biggie,

I see mostly people are changing job just because of Salary Package and when They asked for the reason is it OK to say the reason is Salary only?
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    My question is-
    "What type of decisions are most difficult for you?"
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    godfather
    Thanks Biggie,

I see mostly people are changing job just because of Salary Package and when They asked for the reason is it OK to say the reason is Salary only?
    Well, if Salary is the only reason then one should go ahead. You will have to backup your reasoning with with strong examples stating why you think you were not paid well for the job you were doing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Whats In Name
    My question is-
    "What type of decisions are most difficult for you?"
    The answer to this question can't be generic. Usually, questions like these aren't prepared by candidates in advance and coming up with an answer would be bit difficult in the interview room.

If I were asked such a question, I'd have said the following -

"Every decision has lot of parameters associated with it, which are mostly determined by the situation. I believe there can't be a generic answer to this. However, the decisions which directly or indirectly involve my near and dear ones are bit more difficult than other decisions".
  • Adivy
    Adivy
    If the interviewer asks -"Have you prepared for this interview"?What does he expect or what exactly is going in his mind ?How do we deal with it?
  • andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24
    thank you sir....generally in interviews the panel members ask ece students " being an electronics student, why are you interested in software field? " so what could the best answer one could give....please sir i want to know what answer could be given for this question...
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    godfather
    My advise is do not go with is reason! This topic always have second importance. If you give first priority to this, your impression is may be wrong. They also think that you can also leave them after some time for same reason. Though it is very important aspect, please do not show it as a your first priority.
    what say Bigge Am i right?? ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Adivy
    If the interviewer asks -"Have you prepared for this interview"?What does he expect or what exactly is going in his mind ?How do we deal with it?
    When the interviewer asks you "Have you prepared for this interview?", you'll have to tell him/her the truth. Typically, interviewers get bored after taking dozens of interviews (typically during campus recruitment drives) and most of them pop up this question. They aren't expecting anything 'special'.

The question is straightforward - "Have you prepared for this interview?". You may begin by telling how getting selected in the current interview is important to you. You'll have to tell them about the efforts you've taken to prepare for the interview. You can tell them how you opened up your previous years text books and tried to revise. How you paid more attention to your favorite subject (be prepared to handle more on this!). Tell them everything - without being too detailed or to brief.

Always go through the company's official website and find out some information about them. Include it in your 'preparation' list. It's an absolute must.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    andenagaveni24
    thank you sir....generally in interviews the panel members ask ece students " being an electronics student, why are you interested in software field? " so what could the best answer one could give....please sir i want to know what answer could be given for this question...
    I don't really understand why ECE students appear for software engineering jobs. I believe everyone has his/her own reason. Now that you're asking this question, what would be your honest answer to the question? Tell me your answer before I tell you how to deal with it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gg_gaurav
    My advise is do not go with is reason! This topic always have second importance. If you give first priority to this, your impression is may be wrong. They also think that you can also leave them after some time for same reason. Though it is very important aspect, please do not show it as a your first priority.
    what say Bigge Am i right?? ๐Ÿ˜”
    Money could be a genuine reason in some cases. There are no 'set' answers to such questions. I may have a strong reason to make 'money' as my primary reason for changing job. It could be anything like "My greed for achieving everything before I turn 30 has made me get lot of loan from banks and use my credit card beyond limits and now all of them are after me" OR "My family member has a medical problem which consumes lot of money from my monthly salary".

Whatever reason you have - you should be able to justify it. First to yourself and then to the interviewers. There are no right or wrong answers.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Whatever reason you have - you should be able to justify it. First to yourself and then to the interviewers. There are no right or wrong answers.
    Superb Biggie. Point noted. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey friends i think we are having brains right? ๐Ÿ˜› anyway if yes or no i have a brain so i think its better to a have thread for brain...
Identify this old man and the lady; And find the connection between them?...urgently...
hey friends i wan't to do an mini project in c language please suggest me what can i do and how....please please please....if you help me i will be thankful...
Hey Guys, It's been a few years since CE is going on, and it has appreciably reached a great level. I feel that there are a lot of topics which...
What is the placement procedure for Cisco? Could someone share the details of it? I have heard the Eligibility is - 1. 70% aggregate marks or (equivalent scores) throughout in...