The Bear Problem

A bear walks south for one kilometer, then it walks west for one kilometer, then it walks north for one kilometer and ends up at the same point from which it started. What color was the bear?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Is it Polar bear? Then Answer is White. ๐Ÿ˜’
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Right... This everyone knows... Say the reason behind it... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    Right... This everyone knows... Say the reason behind it... ๐Ÿ˜€
    Reason is question itself. ๐Ÿ˜
    A bear walks south for one kilometer, then it walks west for one kilometer, then it walks north for one kilometer and ends up at the same point from which it started. What color was the bear?
    I don't get you! I mean, unable to understand... ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    I don't get you! I mean, unable to understand... ๐Ÿ˜”
    In the question you have asked for the Color of Bear so I replied with the Color. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    godfather
    Reason is question itself. ๐Ÿ˜
    So the answer here is Red???
    Lets see for more replies... I am waiting for THAT exact answer... ๐Ÿ˜›

Secret Code
    aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRnd3dy5zY2llbnRpZmljcHN5Y2hpYy5jb20lMkZtaW5kJTJGYmVhcjEuaHRtbA==
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    praveenscience
    Lets see for more replies... I am waiting for THAT exact answer... ๐Ÿ˜›

Secret Code
    aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRnd3dy5zY2llbnRpZmljcHN5Y2hpYy5jb20lMkZtaW5kJTJGYmVhcjEuaHRtbA==
    White is wrong answer?
    White is the right answer... Just waiting for the exact explanation how it is... ๐Ÿ˜€ GF's answer is right... Explanation needed... ๐Ÿ˜›
    Just one more reply and am posting the answer here... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let me guess, the bear starts at the north pole ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • bharathpb
    bharathpb
    yes ..Big K..truly..

The bear starts at North pole ...walks south ..1km...again turns west ..1 km ..and goes back to north ..1km ..So in fact it will reach the starting point..that means the location is north pole....so in fact it will be polar bear...so white...
    Oki, I guess Biggie and BharathPB is somewhat right... Let me say the answer...
    The bear was white because it was a polar bear. The only place on earth where a bear can go south, west and north equal distances and end up where it started is the North Pole.

Actually, the bear could go west two or five kilometers instead of one and it would not make any difference -- the bear would be making a circle around the North Pole. East and West you travel along parallels which are circles equidistant from the poles. North and South you travel along meridians which are circles that cross both the north and the south poles.

There is another way to go south, west and north one kilometer and end up at the original point without starting at the North Pole*. Start 1 + 1/(2ร€) kilometers (approx. 1.16Km) from the South Pole. Walk one kilometer south, then one kilometer west (which is a complete 1 Km circle around the South Pole), and finally, one kilometer north to the starting point. However, there are no bears in Antarctica; there are only penguins.

At least one polar bear has actually been tracked by satellite traveling from Alaska to Greenland across the north pole region. Bears of other colors, e.g., grizzlies, Alaskan black bears, Russian brown bears, etc., never venture north of the continental land masses. Polar bears are not restricted by the boundaries of the land because they have partially webbed forepaws and are excellent swimmers. Their scientific name, Ursus maritimus, means "sea bear".
    My Source: Answer to the Bear problem.
  • ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    So it pertains to the North and South poles or poles of any sphere for that matter. But it is also polar opposite in color of a black bear living in about a polar opposite climate as well. This brings polar bears all around.
    Ha ha... In that case, we can have one polar bear per house! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think North pole or south pole is an area, and not just a point on the earth's tip. Earth is not a perfect sphere.
    Its at the Earth only...
  • zara mari
    zara mari
    praveenscience
    White because it came back to where it started. Usually the polar bears remain or go back where they live compared to other types of bear. As the problem goes - "it walks north and ends up at the same point from which it started."
    zara mari
    White because it came back to where it started. Usually the polar bears remain or go back where they live compared to other types of bear. As the problem goes - "it walks north and ends up at the same point from which it started."
    Your answer is also convincing... But all the bears do that right???

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Intel AppUpSM Application Lab: MeeGo series is coming to Chennai! Learn about exciting developments with MeeGo and the Intel AppUpSM developer program, focused on showing application developers how to...
Event ID: 1032486017 Venue: Ambica Empire #79, 100 Feet Road,Vadapalani Chennai Tamil Nadu 600026 India Presenter(s): Aditee Rele, Harish Ranganathan, Rajasekharan Vengalil, Sandeep Alur, Saranya Sriram Language(s): English. Product(s): Microsoft...
Fault Detection Technics at Electronic Cards: 1. Using Oscilloscope: Advantage: Used actively in order to control frequency values and signals. Disadvantage: In case of power supply faults, damaged power circuit,...
Which companies offer summer training or summer internship in Nagpur?
Which companies offer summer internship to third or final year students in Mumbai? Let's make a list of all those companies.