THE ATOM!

Discuss anything about the atom in this thread. New experiments, old ones, what we don't know yet and what possibilities exist out there.

I have a question, I came across some readings on the atom yesterday, we know the nucleus contains the protons and neutrons and the electrons orbit the nucleus.
Now since protons are given positive charge and like charges repel, then what allows protons in the nucleus to be packed so close to each other without pushing each other apart? The explanation given was that the force keeping them together in the nucleus is called the 'strong nuclear force'. Is there more to this explanation? This is something I never thought of before.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    CE Designer
    then what allows protons in the nucleus to be packed so close to each other without pushing each other apart?
    As i have learnt , many atomic models have been propsed before finalising with the current model, that is the Rutherford's model.

#-Link-Snipped-#, your question surely is interesting, and it may turn out that if a proper explanation isn't found then, the present atomic model may fail too.

my idea (i may be wrong) is that protons are heavier than electrons and hence they stay in the neucleus, along with the neutrons, but then the protons and neutrons do not form distinct groups in the neucleus, but they may be embedded together, i.e a neutron present between two protons, which may serve to nullify the repulsive forces.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    zaveri
    As i have learnt , many atomic models have been propsed before finalising with the current model, that is the Rutherford's model..
    I am sorry if I am wrong but wasn't Rutherford's model expanded into Bohr's atomic model and many other models like sommerfeld's, electron cloud model? Is Rutherford's model still preferred?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    vinod1993
    I am sorry if I am wrong but wasn't Rutherford's model expanded into Bohr's atomic model and many other models like sommerfeld's, electron cloud model? Is Rutherford's model still preferred?

I am sorry, but which is the atomic model which is being adopted at present ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sommersfeld was the last to be proposed with modification in Bohr's model I think it is common or some other Quantum theory of recent times may be in use
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    jeffrey samuel
    Sommersfeld was the last to be proposed with modification in Bohr's model I think it is common or some other Quantum theory of recent times may be in use
    I suppose more atomic model's were proposed after that of Sommerfeld's. I think Electron cloud model is the present model followed now. But not so sure, have to check up.! 😀
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    zaveri
    my idea (i may be wrong) is that protons are heavier than electrons and hence they stay in the neucleus, along with the neutrons, but then the protons and neutrons do not form distinct groups in the neucleus, but they may be embedded together, i.e a neutron present between two protons, which may serve to nullify the repulsive forces.
    Your suggestion is interesting but I am still not convinced. I am sure there is a simple explanation out there, just waiting for a CEan to explain it to us.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    CE Designer
    Your suggestion is interesting but I am still not convinced. I am sure there is a simple explanation out there, just waiting for a CEan to explain it to us.

What exactly is it, that does not convince you ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey #-Link-Snipped-# the fact is not convincing friend pls convince us
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    A nuclei consisting of neutrons & protons which are "very closely bound" each other.
    A question might popped in your mind alike #-Link-Snipped-# that large repulsive force should've parted them away, right ? So, some force exist that's reason behind attraction of like charges in nucleus, known as "Strong nuclear force".

But there's one condition, this very strong bond between like charges exists only when distance between two like charges is less than 2x10^-15 m.
    Infact, in nucleus two forces exists 1) Repulsive Coulomb force & 2) Strong Nuclear Force.
    When distance between two like charges in nucleus is equal to or less than 2x10^-15 m, SNF >>>> RCF. Hence they are attracted eachother rather than repelling.

By the way. String theory has something else to say for SNF. But String theory cannot prove SNF because String theory required the existence of particle that really can't exist.(Particle with no mass & two units of spins).
    Later then after solving innumerable mathematical equations for about 3 years they realised that, this string theory mathematical equations were describing interactions of particle in one-dimension. What a blooper, hehe...

I think Maxwell's wave equation was considered most stable model in quantum mechanics.(Not sure though)
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Each and every theory explains different concepts in detail missing a person to clear us out in this confusion

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been wondering if there's a way or mechanism to trace the current location of mobile via Internet or any other method. I recall a brief discussion we've had about...
I have one question with regards with staad. Staad takes into account series of combination load, takes the most critical and uses it in design. What makes my model so...
So Mahindra has launched the SsangYong Rexton in India for a price of Rs. 17 lakh onwards. I want some quick comparisons with the Toyota Fortuner, which has been recently...
my name is ila ragade and im a really INSANE mechanical engineer from pune, maharashtra- india. im currently unoccupied 😛 or rather help mum around the house... :/ i also...
Is ready boost work like as a external RAM or something else ???