Thank you posts

Rules are against it and still we find this real common in CE

Instead of using the rating many post Thank you as a reply to a thread that really annoys most of the time

We must bring this down What do you think guys??

#-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#

What is your take on this..

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It's already implemented by constraint of minimum 50chars.
    I think its enough to get rid of useless post.
    As far concern clicking rating option instead of saying thank you, Its user's conscious that why those buttons been given.
    Do you have any other suggestions?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I found this which made me annoyed a person has trailled dots and just the words thank you so much

Well I found this in SOns They put a warning to a user who does this that post gets flagged and after two or three warnings Negative markers are issued on the user who does it

I think this can be brought here as those who really want to learn as true engineers will edify them selves
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The "thanksgiving folks" are most probably not regular CEans- infact they're not in position to be called "CEan",they're part-time leechers - They get information on what they want & then leave the site.Comes back if they want something more & leaves again.

So,What I mean to say is - The thanksgiving replies by 'em in posts is okay & we really don't care.
    Our prime concern is that the regular & community supportive CEans shouldn't act like 'em & should strictly follow the CE protocols.
    As far as regular CEans don't do that,it is not big deal & unfortunately we won't be able to stop leechers by thanksgiving in thread as they never trolled the "official thanks-giving thread". 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Saying thank you could become a part of 'ratings'; and I believe we might just stop calling the system as 'ratings' system.

The decision on this is still pending and 'Thank You' could just become a part of it.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The_Big_K
    Saying thank you could become a part of 'ratings'; and I believe we might just stop calling the system as 'ratings' system.

The decision on this is still pending and 'Thank You' could just become a part of it.
    I think its not a good idea to embed anything more into the 'rating' system. Otherwise, time will come that everything that's required to be said will be present on the button's click, seizing the actual posting that could happen.

Introduction of addition filter could solve the problem. The 50 chars limit is good one, but people will obviously try to bypass it. May be, we can apply numerous filter at the point where the post is being submitted. Few examples are listed.

1. Periods more than 3 should be truncated to 3. Any other special symbol to be truncated to 1.
    2. The most classic way of bypassing as I've seen on other forums is writing "50 chars limit" at the end of the post. So this must be filtered provided the rest of the content (excluding the bypass statement) is more than 50 chars because we may use the same set of statement in our discussion and system must be able to filter at proper times only.
    3. Third strategy by the by-passers would be putting random junk like "asfdawrasdfasdfasf". We can restrict the size of a single word to some sensible amount alarming the system regarding the "meaninglessness" of the content.

And few more such things like that which are hidden from the user.

On the other hand, even with the introduction of thanks button, I don't think it'll be used by the people to whom its actually intended for. They will continue the same legacy.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I think this is a valid point to ponder on. But even I feel to many cooks will spoil the whole thing so a no to the new Thank you button

But as TSH says leechers are and can never be removed just like that Hope we get more contributors than Leechers

Next up why not making the viewing of Introduction thread and other threads mandatory for new comers So that they will be aware of the rules here
  • lal
    lal
    Filtering, as prototype said, will prove to be effective in this case I guess. A 'thank you' isn't some thing bad though 😁

Single time users or non regular users will not waste much time reading the forum rules and regulations. I don't think it should be made mandatory to view the rules and introduction before a new user is able to use CE. Its just like checking 'I accept the terms and conditions' while we install an application. No matter what, people wont spend much time on those things.

May be, by filtering, to reduce the thread length and reduce meaning less entries a side bar or anything like that saying 'these people said thank you' be introduced. Very much like the rating system present now.

Anyway, a 'thank you' do make the posters feel good - the one who helped and the one who asked for help.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am in final year engineering under Visvesvaraya Technological University ...... In 7th sem I had failed in elective subject and I heard that it will badly affect in getting...
good day everyone! I am an ECE student who's currently taking my thesis 1.. We found a journal titled "Imitation Control for Biped Robot Using Wearable Motion Sensor" in which...
i have written a code that should give me the ip addresses of all the devices connected in a wireless network.But it is just showing the ip address of the...
I'm interested to appear for IES exam.We may have this discussion on IES exams.People who wants to write this service exam can do discussion here.if you even don't have idea...
hi, I get a message that keeps on popping asking me to 'reconsider replacing the battery'. This perhaps means that my battery is not able to hold extra charge for...