CrazyEngineers
  • 1. The parliamentary session degenerated into (i)____ with politicians (ii)____ each other and refusing to (iii)____.

[TABLE="class: tc"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Blank (i)
    A. mayhem
    B. obsolescence
    C. authoritarianism
    [/TD]
    [TD]Blank (ii)
    D. trading banter with
    E. hurling invectives at
    F. staring pointedly at [/TD]
    [TD]Blank (iii)
    G. escalate the situation
    H. challenge the opposition
    I. come to order [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Contrary to his reputation, the admiral was not a (i)_____. He (ii)____ his order to attack when he saw the white flag raised by the enemy sailors, and was actually relieved that he could bring an end to the (iii)____.

[TR]
    [TD]Blank (i)
    A. bloodthirsty man
    B. pacifist
    C. pedant
    [/TD]
    [TD]Blank (ii)
    D. countermanded
    E. reiterated
    F. commandeered [/TD]
    [TD]Blank (iii)
    G. truce
    H. hiatus
    I. hostilities [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

3. In a fit of ____ she threw out the valuable statue simply because it had belonged to her ex-husband.
    A. pique
    B. goodwill
    C. contrition
    D. pedantry
    E. prudence

4. Many 17th century buildings that are still in existence have been so (i)____ by successive owners that the original layout is no longer (ii)____ beneath the sometimes much-needed, but usually (iii)____ attempts to personalize or improve.

[TR]
    [TD]Blank (i)
    A. preserved
    B. transmogrified
    C. decimated [/TD]
    [TD]Blank (ii)
    D. discernible
    E. extant
    F. enshrouded [/TD]
    [TD]Blank (iii)
    G. adept
    H. grotesque
    I. tasteful [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

5. Since ancient times sculpture has been considered the prerogative of men; women sculptors have, until recently, consistently met with (i)____, or even (ii)____.

[TR]
    [TD]Blank (i)
    A. discouragement
    B. vilification
    C. concern
    [/TD]
    [TD]Blank (ii)
    D. ridicule
    E. approbation
    F. tolerance [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

(i)____ at this time would be inadvisable; we have not yet accumulated sufficient expertise to warrant anything other than a (ii)____ approach.

[TR]
    [TD]Blank (i)
    A. Circuitous proceedings
    B. Vacillation
    C. Precipitate action
    [/TD]
    [TD]Blank (ii)
    D. decisive
    E. direct
    F. cautious [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

I cannot conclude this preface without ____ that an early and untimely death should have prevented Persius from giving a more finished appearance to his works.
    A. rejoicing
    B. lamenting
    C. affirming
    D. commenting
    E. mentioning

8. Harding was unable to (i)____ the results of the survey; although entirely unexpected, the figures were obtained by a market research firm with an (ii)____ reputation.

[TR]
    [TD]Blank (i)
    A. believe
    B. accept
    C. discount
    [/TD]
    [TD]Blank (ii)
    D. mediocre
    E. unenviable
    F. impeccable [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

9. The quantum theory was initially regarded as absurd, unnatural and ____ with common sense.

A. consanguineous
    B. discernible
    C. incompatible
    D. decipherable
    E. consistent

10. Do not be fooled by her (i)____ manner; her superficial (ii)____ belies her worldliness.

[TR]
    [TD]Blank (i)
    A. unsophisticated
    B. gregarious
    C. off-hand
    [/TD]
    [TD]Blank (ii)
    D. proficiency
    E. naiveté
    F. seriousness [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Reya

MemberJul 26, 2011

1.The parliamentary session degenerated into mayhem with politicians hurling invectives at each other and refusing to come to order.

2.Contrary to his reputation, the admiral was not a pacifist. He countermanded his order to attack when he saw the white flag raised by the enemy sailors, and was actually relieved that he could bring an end to the truce.

3.In a fit of pique she threw out the valuable statue simply because it had belonged to her ex-husband.

4.Many 17th century buildings that are still in existence have been so decimated by successive owners that the original layout is no longer enshrouded beneath the sometimes much-needed, but usually grotesque attempts to personalize or improve.

5. Since ancient times sculpture has been considered the prerogative of men; women sculptors have, until recently, consistently met with discouragement, oreven ridicule.

6.Precipitate action at this time would be inadvisable; we have not yet accumulated sufficient expertise to warrant anything other than a cautious approach.

7.I cannot conclude this preface without lamenting that an early and untimely death should have prevented Persius from giving a more finished appearance to his works.

8.Harding was unable to discount the results of the survey; although entirely unexpected, the figures were obtained by a market research firm with an impeccable reputation.

9.The quantum theory was initially regarded as absurd, unnatural and consistent with common sense.

10.Do not be fooled by her unsophisticated manner; her superficial naivete belies her worldliness.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • gretaker

MemberJul 26, 2011

Try :

1. a e i
    2. a d i
    3. a
    4 b d h
    5. a d
    6. c f
    7. e
    8. a e
    9. c
    10. a e
    Cancel
  • shihan

MemberOct 4, 2011

plz give the answer
    Cancel
  • Ankita Katdare

AdministratorOct 5, 2011

The correct answers are:

1. A E I
    2. A D I
    3. A
    4. B D H
    5. A D
    6. C F
    7. B
    8. C F
    9. C
    10. A E
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register