Telescopes? just for watchin the space beauty? :/

😕 well..this thing was bothering me..can't a telescope be used to produce steam? i mean.. am not sure of the power and stuff they have. but they are known to cause enough heat to cause burns in the retina if used to view the sun directly. So can't theybe focussed on some water and produce steam..or be used as your very own power for a frying pan. i guess this would be stupid but is there any possibility for such a thing

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Try to look in articles related to Concentrated Solar power in wiki
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Peak insolation is about 1200W/sqmtr at normal incidence in the tropics. If you have a parabolic reflector that reduces the image size to 0.25 sqmtr you can expect to get 3 to 4 kg steam on a day of full sun.

Remember temperature is different from quantity of heat. Even a small lens can focus sunlight to a spot that can set fire to paper. It is the total wattage that produces steam. One needs a large area for that.
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    Ohh. well I did not know that. Thanks for the info ! 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# That was quite an interesting thought there!

Just about on the lines of what you were thinking, a project has been developed by students at University of Arizona.
    They used a curved mirror (telescope tech) to focus sunlight on a 5-inch glass ball which spread that light across a solar panel (that uses highly efficient solar cells) evenly. The system doesn't sit idle.
    As in most solar power systems these days, this one also tracks the position of Sun by rotating on a frame.

Check out the video -

• Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    yeah. now thats' something cool !
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    It can be used for preheating but cant generate steam out of it 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai this is arun . can any one tell me what is the use of wireless tool kit........................................................................................................................................................
I don't have on-field experience as I am not even graduated. But, Every IT professionals I talked with wanna join TCS. Born curious,I googled some of stuffs of TCS &...
hay guys this code is written by me for image encryption the data is written in file but not preview..... help it's urgent. thanks in advance. package binaryfilehandling; import java.io.FileNotFoundException;...
hi..everyone...i m participating in sae baja for the first time...i m designing the transmission..ive selected mahindra alpha transmission....i want to know whether it is good or do i need to...
Hi, I am Prasanna. I am getting my BE (ECE) degree this year. I wish to appear for C-DAC CET. Hence please tell me that where I can get the...