Technical definitions

hai guys.

In this thread, we are going to discuss about the perfect definitions for the technical terms. I hope this is very helpful for all of us.

Different persons follows different definitions.

In this thread, we will come across different defintions by our different CEans. Among them we like to choose one of the best definition. So that we may improve better.

please give the perfect definition.

Replies

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    please give your perfect definition.

our first two questions are ::

1) what is a micro controller ?

2) what is an Array ?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    My answers are ::

1) Micro controller is a chip used in C.P.U.

2) Array is a collection of similar data type elements in contigous memory allocation.
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    sahithi pallavi
    1) Micro controller is a chip used in C.P.U.
    Well that is not correct. YOu are basically talking about the microprocessor.
    A muController is a Microprocessing unit with in-built memory, serial & parallel communication modules, A-to-D converters and a host of other features which make it a standalone computational device.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Friends..! come on..!

post your definitions here..
  • krishnaprasad
    krishnaprasad
    i want a seminar topic in computer science. i want to submit that seminar on 5 th october. so please help me to selecting the seminar topic.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    krishnaprasad
    i want a seminar topic in computer science. i want to submit that seminar on 5 th october. so please help me to selecting the seminar topic.

hey krishna.

first welcome to our CE.

there is a "project ideas and seminar topics" section is there.

It contains lot of seminar topics given by our CEans. Visit once.

this is not the right place to post your question.
  • skipper
    skipper
    "Array" is a very general term for a lot of things, from a switching circuit to a solar system.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    3) what is a C.P.U ?

4) what is a program ?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    first
    1 Array is heterogeneous collection of related data items...
    2 program is a set of instruction used to accomplish a certain task
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    My answer is

4) A program is a set of instructions used to accomplish a specific task with in a finete time.
  • apple6
    apple6
    1.Micro controller :- A highly integrated chip that contains all the components comprising acontroller.
    2.Array :- An array can be defined as a number of memory locations , each of which can store the same data type and which can be referenced through the same variable name.
    An array is a collective name given to a group of similar quantities.
    3.C.P.U :- C.P.U stands for Central Processing Unit.
    CPU is the brain of the computer where most calculations take place. In terms of computing power, the CPU is the most important element of a computer system.The central processing unit (CPU) is the portion of a computer system that carries out the instructions of a computer program, to perform the basic arithmetical, logical, and input/output operations of the system.
    4.Program :- A program is a set of instructions that performs a certain task.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Are mechanical definitions welcome here ?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    zaveri
    Are mechanical definitions welcome here ?
    Why not? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    In progamming language,
    Array : A collection of homogeneous data items, which are stored in relative position.

My question:
    What is Machine?๐Ÿ˜‰
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    ianoop
    My question:
    What is Machine?๐Ÿ˜‰

A machine is anything which overcomes great resistances with just the least application of efforts.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Now here is my question:

What is a "development" ?
  • apple6
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-#, development is a specified state of growth or advancement.
    And, my question is what is a markup language?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-#, development is a specified state of growth or advancement.
    And, my question is what is a markup language?
    A markup language is the one in which you cannot build logic but just the outer design.

A switch can be an example. You can make the physical switch with markup language, but what happens when the switch is pressed has to be done in programming language.
  • apple6
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-# why don't you ask a question? we will wait for the others to answer.. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-# why don't you ask a question? we will wait for the others to answer.. ๐Ÿ˜€
    umm, ok, let me think..๐Ÿ˜

My question is, define latch & flipflop.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    [Prototype]
    umm, ok, let me think..๐Ÿ˜

My question is, define latch & flipflop.
    flipflop is a circuit involving logic gates built for memory storage.

don't know about latch though.
  • apple6
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-# basically, i am a cse student and i dont have a clear idea about latch & flipflop.. if u know the answer for my question please post it..
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    zaveri
    flipflop is a circuit involving logic gates built for memory storage.

don't know about latch though.
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-# basically, i am a cse student and i dont have a clear idea about latch & flipflop.. if u know the answer for my question please post it..
    Latch and flipflop both stores a bit of data. The only difference between latch and flipflop is that flipflops are clocked (edge triggered) devices while latch is not clocked.

That is, if you add a clock to a latch, it becomes a flipflop..๐Ÿ‘
  • apple6
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-#, thanks for your information.. then try to answer my question..
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-#, thanks for your information.. then try to answer my question..
    I am sorry, I cannot find the your question you're talking about. Please point me to it.
  • apple6
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-#, my question is what is a markup language ?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-#, my question is what is a markup language ?
    I did replied -> #-Link-Snipped-#

Not sure if its enough to convey the what I am trying.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    now try this :

what is "dry weight" of an automobile ? (don't google)
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    zaveri
    now try this :

what is "dry weight" of an automobile ? (don't google)
    Not sure, but my random guess, its the weight of vehicle alone? Another thought, weight without fuel? (just coz fuel makes it wet?.jk.haha)
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Being a common or garden Chem E, I think of latch as:
    [โ€‹IMG]

And Flip Flop:
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    bioramani
    Being a common or garden Chem E, latch to me is:
    [โ€‹IMG]

And Flip Flop:
    [โ€‹IMG]
    haha.. That was a nice one.

I just wish that you don't ask any questions. I am sure none of us would be even able to come up with something like above.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Boolean Expression
    In computer parlance, a Boolean Expression is an expression that produces a Boolean Value (True or False) when evaluated.
    The expression may be composed of Boolean constants, Boolean variables, Boolean operators and other Boolean functions.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    [Prototype]
    Not sure, but my random guess, its the weight of vehicle alone? Another thought, weight without fuel? (just coz fuel makes it wet?.jk.haha)
    you nearly guessed it. dry weight is the weight of the vehicle without fluids such as fuel, lubricants, coolants, brake, clutch and power steering oil.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    zaveri
    you nearly guessed it. dry weight is the weight of the vehicle without fluids such as fuel, lubricants, coolants, brake, clutch and power steering oil.
    haha, it was kinda obvious and much guessable..๐Ÿ˜€

My question, What is a deadlock in context to process (Operating System)?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    [Prototype]
    My question, What is a deadlock in context to process (Operating System)?
    When process are waiting for locked resources in cyclic manner to complete their task.
  • apple6
    apple6
    #-Link-Snipped-#, Actually a deadlock is a situation which occurs when a process enters a waiting state because a resource requested by it is being held by other processes...
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Now try this : what is a slip-joint ?
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    zaveri
    Now try this : what is a slip-joint ?
    mechanical construction allowing expansion and compression..
    is it correct?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    sweet_honey
    mechanical construction allowing expansion and compression..
    is it correct?
    kind of. but i dint mean the thermal expansion and contraction.

What i had in my mind was the slip joints in automobiles present between the gear box and the propeller shaft. this joint allows the propeller to move in and out when the leaf-spring vibrates.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    since no answers still so let me give a very silly answer...
    An engine that is square in shape or placed in a square box..๐Ÿ˜’
    #-Link-Snipped-# plz answer it..
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    sweet_honey
    since no answers still so let me give a very silly answer...
    An engine that is square in shape or placed in a square box..๐Ÿ˜’
    #-Link-Snipped-# plz answer it..

A square engine is one , where the stroke length(bore depth) and the bore diameter are are equal.

due to which the 2-dimensional cross sectional view of this cylinder bore will look like a sqaure.

#-Link-Snipped-# i appreciate you for making attempts, to reply.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    thnk u #-Link-Snipped-#..๐Ÿ˜€
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Now guys try this:

what is a ceiling rose ?

Hint : try recalling what you learnt in semester 1.
  • graphite
    graphite
    zaveri
    Now guys try this:

what is a ceiling rose ?

Hint : try recalling what you learnt in semester 1.
    Ceiling rose may be a hook affixed to the ceiling to which various types of decorative things can be suspended or lights too.
    Am I correct?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    graphite
    Ceiling rose may be a hook affixed to the ceiling to which various types of decorative things can be suspended or lights too.
    Am I correct?
    No it is nothing related to aesthetics.

it is that round electrical box, with a very small hole in its centre, through which electric wires pass.

this box is used as a permanent junction (unlike plug sockets) for , connecting devices like tube lights, chandeliers and fans.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    What is the function of a relay in a circuit?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    CE Designer
    What is the function of a relay in a circuit?
    For induction.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    relay helps in switching between two or more lines of supply
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Now try this :

what are the examples of cantilever beams, in an automobile ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    the mud guards i suppose
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    zaveri
    Now try this :

what are the examples of cantilever beams, in an automobile ?
    Brakes
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    jeffrey samuel
    the mud guards i suppose
    maybe. but the best ones are the teeth of the gears.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Gandalf
    Brakes
    you mean the levers ? that is correct too.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    eager for more
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    alright then ,

what is a bellevile spring ?
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    now, this one is simple. Try this. What's the equation(mathematical) of a suspension cable(say,a telephone wire) suspended between two posts.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    zaveri
    alright then ,

what is a bellevile spring ?
    shock absorbers?? lol, just a stupid guess
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    vinod1993
    shock absorbers?? lol, just a stupid guess
    shock absorbers use coil springs and a damper.

bellevile springs are disc-like springs or plate type springs. they are used in the diaphragm-spring clutches.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    zaveri
    shock absorbers use coil springs and a damper.

bellevile springs are disc-like springs or plate type springs. they are used in the diaphragm-spring clutches.
    Diaphragm spring clutches? What's that?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    vinod1993
    now, this one is simple. Try this. What's the equation(mathematical) of a suspension cable(say,a telephone wire) suspended between two posts.
    that is a caternary i guess
  • zaveri
    zaveri

jeffrey samuel
    that is a caternary i guess
    the same as that of a fixed beam
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    catenary is right.! ๐Ÿ˜€ Equation?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    hey what is catenary ?
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Catenary
    [โ€‹IMG]This is a catenary. The equation is r(square)=a(square)cos2t
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    i remembered it from first sem math ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜›
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    So let me ask another one. Try giving a non-integrable(indefinite) function. Sorry for deviating from the thread.But even this is more exciting to ponder with.(Do not surf the net for answers please.)
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    e^at*cos(sinbt) i guess and some more in partial derivatives are not completely integrable
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    jeffrey samuel
    e^at*cos(sinbt) i guess and some more in partial derivatives are not completely integrable
    Forget partial derivatives.I want a non-integrable(indefinitely) function. I'm thinking whether the function you gave is integrable or not.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    my pal post the answer very eager to learn it
    Forget partial derivatives.I want a non-integrable(indefinitely) function. I'm thinking whether the function you gave is integrable or not.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    There are many.! What you said is right I hope.! So here we go.
    Indefinite: sinx/x,e^-x^2. And the function which cannot be integrated anyway is e^tanx(would be glad if some CEan breaks it).I don't think it can even be integrated with limits on.! Can any CEan devise an answer? So curious here.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    now try this :

what is "bearing area" ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    bearing area is region covered by a single fore bearing or back bearing during surveying

think i am right
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Bearing area is the additional area of contact provided by a washer, for the bottom surface of the bolt heads to contact with and thus tighten themselves.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    now try an analytical problem for a change. here you are :

in the case of a three-wheeled vehicle (say an autorickshaw), what is the weight distribution on each wheel ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    One third on each wheel
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    I'm just guessing,sorry if I am terribly wrong...๐Ÿ˜€ More weight distribution on the back wheel and lesser in the front? Because the back wheel guides the front.!
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    vinod is right
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    How about this one for all Electrical Guys

What is Impedance matching ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The Zout (Output impedance) of one device "matches" to Zin (Input impedance) of other one to get max. Power transfer, this phenomena is called Impedance matching.
    If Z of source & load will not match, then the transmitted signal is partially reflected back, this results in Power loss(heat loss).

I am very bad in creating a definition using technical terms.Hope i did satisfactory work here.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Troll_So_Hard
    The Zout (Output impedance) of one device "matches" to Zin (Input impedance) of other one to get max. Power transfer, this phenomena is called Impedance matching.
    If Z of source & load will not match, then the transmitted signal is partially reflected back, this results in Power loss(heat loss).

I am very bad in creating a definition using technical terms.Hope i did satisfactory work here.
    Nice job buddy boy
    Another way of putting terms is equating an input and output impedance of adjacent blocks to prevent signal attenuation

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

do you have an idea about how SCADA and DCS System works ?
respected sir, i m a student of a 4th year electronics and communication engineering branch. I need the details like circuit diagram , list of components, and other details of...
๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก
i need HOME SECURITY SYSTEM WITH SENDING MESSAGE ON OUR CELL PHONE synopsis < removed >
I woke up today morning and thought for a second that i was deported to PLANET MARS.๐Ÿ˜•. I saw the time as 7:30 am, but from the window it looked...