Tech support job for engineers

tech support job good or bad after engnienering
and even though salary bis good do they provide growth
cn we change jobs to diff domain after this job

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tech support job would involve offering technical support to your clients. Most of the IT projects these days fall into this category. Note that Tech-Support is exactly what it says - and may not offer real engineering challenges. If you want to develop software and services, it's better to look for a job in Software 'product' companies, which are very rare in India. It might be difficult to switch to a different domain if you've worked in tech support.

Your job will ultimately be decided by the skills you posses and are experienced in.
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    suppose one works in a tech support job for 2 years and simultaneously does his ms from BITS pilani........then would it be possible to change domain.
    also would you be kind enough to enlighten me about the possible GROWTH options available for me if i join tech support job
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    The_Big_K
    Tech support job would involve offering technical support to your clients. Most of the IT projects these days fall into this category. Note that Tech-Support is exactly what it says - and may not offer real engineering challenges. If you want to develop software and services, it's better to look for a job in Software 'product' companies, which are very rare in India. It might be difficult to switch to a different domain if you've worked in tech support.

Your job will ultimately be decided by the skills you posses and are experienced in.
    i have been offered this job by a company pay is decent i was wondering
    while doing my tech support job if i do my higher studies(ms or mtech) from Bits pilani would it be possible to change domain
    and BIG_K would you enlighten me about the possible growth options i would have if i join tech support job
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    how can one work and grow in tech support jobs.
    are there any growth available in these kinds of jobs
    how goood and respectable are these kinds of jobs
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've merged all the similar threads you've created so that the discussion remains in one place.

It might just depend on the domain you wish to switch to. First figure out what kind of skill-set you will build at a tech-support job and see if that skill-set can fetch you a job in the domain you wish to switch to.

Distance education is good for the knowledge sake; but I'm yet to hear anyone deriving real benefit (placements, promotions) by opting for a distance education program. Your best bet is to take a sabbatical from your current organisation, dedicate yourself to a two year MS/MBA program and then look for a job in the domain you're interested in.

If I were in your place, I'd directly start looking for the jobs in the domain I'm interested in than spending time/money on distance education program.

Ultimately, the recruiters are interested in experience and past work more than your degrees. What matters is 'what you know' and if your tech support job allows you to build a skill-set which your new domain requires; you will definitely be able to make a switch. Else, it's going to be very hard.
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    The_Big_K
    I've merged all the similar threads you've created so that the discussion remains in one place.

It might just depend on the domain you wish to switch to. First figure out what kind of skill-set you will build at a tech-support job and see if that skill-set can fetch you a job in the domain you wish to switch to.

Distance education is good for the knowledge sake; but I'm yet to hear anyone deriving real benefit (placements, promotions) by opting for a distance education program. Your best bet is to take a sabbatical from your current organisation, dedicate yourself to a two year MS/MBA program and then look for a job in the domain you're interested in.

If I were in your place, I'd directly start looking for the jobs in the domain I'm interested in than spending time/money on distance education program.

Ultimately, the recruiters are interested in experience and past work more than your degrees. What matters is 'what you know' and if your tech support job allows you to build a skill-set which your new domain requires; you will definitely be able to make a switch. Else, it's going to be very hard.
    i appreciate the honest reply
    but the domain i have been offered is voice over tech support
    so i dont know what to do
    i have good percentage of 70+ but as u have posted no better option exist
    as placements have come to a grinding halt
    and also i could really use the cash but i do not want this fact to burn my future
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    what is the job description of this job
    is it good or bad for career growth
    do we deal with end user or clients
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    hello fellow engineers,
    can u please ans my questions
    1)who is a customer support engineer
    2)what is his role and job description
    3)is there growth within that domain
    4)can he change domain
    looking forward to a reply please help me out here
  • pooja21
    pooja21
    recently i got placed in my campus for a reputed company
    1)job designation is "customer support engineer"
    i want to know is it good or bad
    will i be able to grow with this job like my equal peers such as developers or testers
    2)bond of 2 yrs exist
    they say that i can change domain after two years to whatever i want and capable of getting
    is it true
    shall i join or not
    very uncertain plz help me bu suggesting pros and cons about the job
    oh yeah night shift exist
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# & #-Link-Snipped-# -

Several jobs being created in India these days are into customer support. Customer support is just as what the name suggests - it's all about offering tech / non-tech support to clients of your employers.

Typically, a customer support engineer will be trained on a technology or specific product or a service that you he/she is expected to support. The general description of the job would involve answering technical questions through email or phone, offering fixes as and when required.

1. Is it good? : Depends on what your career goals are. There isn't a general answer.

2. Bond: Is basically enforced to ensure that once trained on a product or service or technology, the employee does not leave the employer immediately. You've to be very careful while signing up the bond. Because once you're 'locked' you'll have to break the bond which is not recommended. It may involve huge amount of money. TCS, for example requires the candidate to pay Rs. 50k in case they break the bond.

3. Can customer support engineering change domain: Yes. There's nothing that can stop you from making a shift in career. The only concern is whether your past experience in tech-support will be useful in your future career. It all depends on the kind of technology / tool / product / service you're experienced in. General rule of thumb is that if you've relevant experience, your can get better job or switch to other domain.

4. Night Shifts: This is personal decision. Are you comfortable working in night shifts? How's the overall work environment and what do existing employees say needs to be figured out before you make the decision.

5. Pros / Cons : Customer support could get monotonous over a period of time. You must ask your employers what kind of profile / role they're offering to you so that you know what kind of job you'll be doing. The job itself is very different in different cases and domains.

So find out more information about the job you're being offered and share specific details so that we can discuss it in depth.
  • pooja21
    pooja21
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# & #-Link-Snipped-# -

Several jobs being created in India these days are into customer support. Customer support is just as what the name suggests - it's all about offering tech / non-tech support to clients of your employers.

Typically, a customer support engineer will be trained on a technology or specific product or a service that you he/she is expected to support. The general description of the job would involve answering technical questions through email or phone, offering fixes as and when required.

1. Is it good? : Depends on what your career goals are. There isn't a general answer.

2. Bond: Is basically enforced to ensure that once trained on a product or service or technology, the employee does not leave the employer immediately. You've to be very careful while signing up the bond. Because once you're 'locked' you'll have to break the bond which is not recommended. It may involve huge amount of money. TCS, for example requires the candidate to pay Rs. 50k in case they break the bond.

3. Can customer support engineering change domain: Yes. There's nothing that can stop you from making a shift in career. The only concern is whether your past experience in tech-support will be useful in your future career. It all depends on the kind of technology / tool / product / service you're experienced in. General rule of thumb is that if you've relevant experience, your can get better job or switch to other domain.

4. Night Shifts: This is personal decision. Are you comfortable working in night shifts? How's the overall work environment and what do existing employees say needs to be figured out before you make the decision.

5. Pros / Cons : Customer support could get monotonous over a period of time. You must ask your employers what kind of profile / role they're offering to you so that you know what kind of job you'll be doing. The job itself is very different in different cases and domains.

So find out more information about the job you're being offered and share specific details so that we can discuss it in depth.
    Role: Customer Support Engineer –End User Productivity Services-Service Desk

Role Purpose of Service Desk Engineer:
    · To act as a single point of contact (SPOC) for all IT Customers.
    · To maximize service availability.
    · To restore service whenever possible.
    · To provide desk-side services, desktop management and device lifecycle management and provide business systems support.
    • Maintain Hosted client services for extended application and client access.
    · Create Portable user profiles to enable agility.
    · Stateless device deployment to ease support and replacement.
    · Creation of a detailed products catalogue containing all possible devices in a company to add/remove/update products at any time
    · Optimization of existing desktops and provide the foundation services for emerging desktop virtualization technologies.
    · Creation of content for Self-Service Portal Solutions and L0 support
    Key Responsibilities/Outcomes:
    • Takes end to end Ownership of End User Issues till resolution and follow up as mandated by the process requirements.
    • Escalates complex problems to the Remote Support Engineering staff or Field Engineering.
    • Typically provides technical support for Internal and External customers.
    • Escalates complex problems to higher level of expertise within organization.
    • Responsible for providing the first-line of after-sales telephone technical support of hardware, Operating Systems, sub-systems and/or applications for customers and/or employees.
  • pooja21
    pooja21
    y no reply for my thread eagerly waiting for analysis from ce about my job profile plz post as soon as possible
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The profile looks to be the same as we discussed in above posts. Let me add my comments below -

pooja21
    Role: Customer Support Engineer –End User Productivity Services-Service Desk

Role Purpose of Service Desk Engineer:
    · To act as a single point of contact (SPOC) for all IT Customers.
    · To maximize service availability.
    · To restore service whenever possible.
    · To provide desk-side services, desktop management and device lifecycle management and provide business systems support.
    . Maintain Hosted client services for extended application and client access.
    · Create Portable user profiles to enable agility.

· Stateless device deployment to ease support and replacement.
    · Creation of a detailed products catalogue containing all possible devices in a company to add/remove/update products at any time
    · Optimization of existing desktops and provide the foundation services for emerging desktop virtualization technologies.
    · Creation of content for Self-Service Portal Solutions and L0 support
    It's basically a end-user support. So the role is likely about providing tech-support to the clients of the company, which are likely to be the end users of the systems/services. Imagine the job to be 'similar' to customer care executives, but a little more 'technical' in nature. I believe the job does not require you to have computer science / IT knowlege and may not involve programming, testing etc.

I'd think twice before joining it because it may not result in 'building' of resume/profile for the next step in your career.

pooja21
    Key Responsibilities/Outcomes:
    • Takes end to end Ownership of End User Issues till resolution and follow up as mandated by the process requirements.
    • Escalates complex problems to the Remote Support Engineering staff or Field Engineering.
    • Typically provides technical support for Internal and External customers.
    • Escalates complex problems to higher level of expertise within organization.
    • Responsible for providing the first-line of after-sales telephone technical support of hardware, Operating Systems, sub-systems and/or applications for customers and/or employees.
    The job responsibilities mandate you to handle questions raised by the customers. If you cannot solve the questions/concerns raised by customers, you will have to redirect the issues to the senior engineers.

I believe the job role requires offering regular computer troubleshooting. But not entirely clear from the information mentioned.

From long term career point of view, you might be stuck to customer support and the job 'may not' enhance your programming skills.

You will have to first chalk down your career aspirations and what kind of job you'd like to do. Then find if above type of job is interesting.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I use windows deep blue operating system. i installed apache tomcat 7.0 server for running jsp. it is installed properly but it does not start properly. if i start it...
I want to be clear that why we use spur gears in rack and pinion arrangement,as i had seen many such arrangement as in case of OHP (overhead projector). why...
Hi all, Please let me know how to design CCM and DCM flyback converters, and what is the major difference?
When the temperature of a liquid increases, its density decreases, so does its viscosity. so from this, can we say that the density and viscosity of a liquid are related...
What is Design Engineering? What are its scopes? I am doing Btech in Electronics and instrumentation, so is design engineering an apt option for masters?