TCS Employee Didn't Know 'Facebook' is NOT a Google Company! Meh?

I stumbled upon following blog post on popular Indian tech website: #-Link-Snipped-# . Amitabh Bachchan, the host of KBC (Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?) asked TCS employee a very simple question -

KBC Question: “Which of these options will you not find on the Google homepage”
Options: Orkut, Youtube, Facebook, Gmail

Now, any IT engineer (youtube) is bound to know (In my humble opinion) that Facebook is not a Google company (in fact one of the rivals!).

The article above mentions that Indian IT Industry is 'islandish'; with engineers seldom knowing anything 'outside' their job. Do you agree?

PS: Do read the article!

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The ignorance of a person may not apply to others. It is wrong to judge whole IT industry on the basis of a single 'entity'.
    Of course I too agree that we need more than computer laborers on board.

P.S: Tell me anyone what is the color of a bat's egg?
  • rohitpal
    rohitpal
    Bat is a Mammal, so..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    The ignorance of a person may not apply to others. It is wrong to judge whole IT industry on the basis of a single 'entity'.
    Of course I too agree that we need more than computer laborers on board.

P.S: Tell me anyone what is the color of a bat's egg?
    Well, given my background of having spent 3.5 years in the industry and then quitting it - I agree with the IT industry being labeled "islandish". I personally know a person who's spent at least 12 years in the IT industry and didn't know what Gmail is. I actually had to 'explain' how to use Gmail! Believe me or not. However, I'd not blame him for his ignorance. I've my own experiences of interviewing 'computer science' engineers too - who couldn't explain the function of RAM in computer! Then there were people who didn't know what graphics card does in a computer. Very basic questions which, in my opinion, every person making a living on computers should know.

The problem is that people seldom look beyond what's presented to them. Anyone agrees with me?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    From my own experience, it is highly possible that a person do not know how to use how to use gmail. However it is still hard to believe if he is a person working in software industry.

As far as I can sense, ignorance is a global phenomenon. Someone working in machine design industry may be unaware of designing software or someone working in banking sector might be unaware of online share trading.

These ignorant people are either technically incompetent or highly skillful in their assigned job so much so that they do not want to look beyond their job profile.

Speaking of IT industry, I was watching news on TV when our union Communications and Information technology minister Kapil Sibal announced his wish to raise 10 million *technical* man power to work in IT industry. Just imagine if we will keep on raising such a huge numbers there will no doubt be larger number of ignorant people in the masses who merely do what they are told unaware of developments.

But we also have technically competent people many of them are our CEans like Praveen-Kumar, ET, Sada, Reya (why to go far away? )and there are still many more in the real world.

The debate has many faces but I will still stick to my earlier point that it is inappropriate to judge whole industry on the basis of few people because we will always have mixture of good and ignorant people.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    One more example of ignorance - people spend their lifetime using computer; but never learn to type properly 😀 .
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    I did not know about CE about couple of months back!😁
    So Poor IT General Knowledge is forgivable. And tell you what, that hot seat is real hot and scrambles the head because you are always tensed. If the question was "is facebook a google company"? then he would have answered straight. So its ok for me!
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    do you know one thing one of my friend don't know how to copy and paste upto 2 years of engineering i learned her how to do it
    still she is facing problem on it but she selected in TCS campus drive what a pity
    i don't able to understand on what basis they are taking candidates

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple recently launched the next version of iPhone - iPhone 4S. While lot of geeks were expecting iPhone 5 with quite an awesome hardware; Apple decided to play on the...
Aakash tablet by Government of India is priced at Rs. 3000 and seems to be in the high demand. While the tablet offers Android, hardware specs aren't impressive at all....
i need idea for mini project Major Courses in B.SC Program: Basic Electronics. Microprocessor Based System. Communication Engineering. Electromagnetic wave. Analogue Electronics. Digital Electronics. Measurement and Data Aquisit. Sequential Circuit...
Hello everyone.. i'm Amitesh Harmukh... persuing B.E in MECHATRONICS ENGG. i want to organise a technical event in my college.. kindly suggest me some good ideas for the events.
#include #include void main() { char name[5]="sajan"; printf("%s",name); getch(); } output: sajan with a grbage value................... que1:-where it store the null character if size is equal to the characters entered?...