TCS Campus Recruitment: Is it so easy to get a job?

The Campus Interview session in nearby colleges in near to an end. TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) recruited hundreds of final year engineering students this year.

I was talking to some final year students who recently received an offer letter from their respective companies and I was a bit amazed listening them talk.

Most of the students who got placed were not asked any technical question in the interview.
Some ended up returning from the interview within 10 minutes and had no hopes of getting placed, but still landed up with a job in hands.

The most shocking part of the discussion was, people who did not know the meaning of "#include" secured a job! 😲

What is your opinion about this?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well my friend who is actually a half mad got job too........
    Really speaking the people who study more(Book worms) have less probability of getting selected.
    He is actually a cool guy.
    Companies need people who can handle situations well.
    According to me most companies believe "We can always refer a BOOK when we are in a problem in real life. We don't know why there is a ban on textbooks in exams."Hence" Cool"people are selected easily. πŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sadly, Indian IT seldom needs 'engineers'. The kind of work done in most of the IT services companies is about typing the code which's all architected by clients. Of course there are projects in big companies that have good projects, but they're very less in numbers.
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    One of my friends in final year also got placed in TCS. When I asked him what was the interview all about, he said that he only had to clear an aptitude test. No technical questions were being asked.
    He also told me the same what AKD mentioned. Even the dumbest of students landed with a good job.
  • andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24
    frnds tcs is coming to our college on september 18th.....i am very much worried why because tcs is my dream company...i have to get into tcs ....its my short term goal....i dont have written test because i have 80% aggregate so far.......
  • andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24
    on what shall i concentrate all these days ......so that it will help me out to do well in interview....
  • lakshmidhar
    lakshmidhar
    Hi guys i got selected in tcs on campus which was held on 17-09-2011.
    Once u clear yout=r aptitude u r sure to be get selected based on a factor that u a very confident calm and composed.
    technical and mr rond went for me very well nad hr is a formality round
    tTHEY ARE LOOKING FOR ECE PEOPLE SO ECE GUYZ DO WELL U HAVE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY..
  • johnnelvine
    johnnelvine
    This is really a sad situation because the person who even don't know any thing about the header file had secured a job. What about the losers? Are they are more dull than these guys or if there are some skilled students among the losers? Please provide some attachment links that where and when this happen.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    AbraKaDabra
    Most of the students who got placed were not asked any technical question in the interview.
    Some ended up returning from the interview within 10 minutes and had no hopes of getting placed, but still landed up with a job in hands.
    I had technical HR interview for nearly one hour. πŸ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aarthivg
    Interesting. What exactly is a technical HR interview? Could you share your experience and what questions were asked? It would help a lot of CEans here.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    Interesting. What exactly is a technical HR interview? Could you share your experience and what questions were asked? It would help a lot of CEans here.
    Question:
    1. Just to introduce myself
    2. Do I know about data structure
    3. what is data structure?
    4. what is stack ?
    5.real time application of stack?
    6. what is queue?
    7. program to insert and delete a node?
    8.program to search a node
    9.what is minimum spanning tree

In my resume, I have mentioned I am interested in drawing.
    so the HR asked me to draw whatever I wished. From My picture, he gave me a situation, and said to write me a program for it.

10. To print my name for 10 times, I used for loop for that program. Then he made some changes in the program and asked what will be the error shown

11. debugging a program

NOTE: These question asked to test my basics of C . Its only one third of the question of my total question
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    As I am from electrical department, only basics were asked in software side.
    1.Based on electrical
    2.motor
    3.types of motor
    4.difference between stepper motor and induction motor
    5.about my project. And there was lots of question araised on it
    6. He gave me a suituation and to automize it

For all the questions, I was asked to draw and explain it.

For example, for stepper motor
    I started with its working principle, its types, then said about rotor position control, firing circuit.
    and whats the latest updates stepper motor.

I remember these questions only
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and that looks like a technical round of interview to me. Why did they call it an 'HR' round?
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    ...and that looks like a technical round of interview to me. Why did they call it an 'HR' round?
    should ask only to the recruitment board onlyπŸ˜‰
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I am really astonished as I heard a lot of all this regarding TCS and Infosys too. To my bad luck, I never get a chance to attend campus recruitments of these companies. I attended interviews of 2 product based companies and they were mighty tough. I knew that product based companies recruit very less numbers so I tried my best. Computer Associates (CA) was the first company.That I attended.I gave all the four rounds and cleared them but in the final result they did not select me. I couldn't really pin point a reason for that but others told, its a product based company so they recruit less. Another company attended by me was Subex Ltd. It was even tougher. I got short-listed from among thousands of people for interview. I cleared technical interview 1 but in technical interview 2 I was removed because I couldn't write a program.The program was tough and as it was asked to everyone nobody could write it. As a result Subex Ltd has zero selections. I underwent these two companies and did not get selected whereas my friends from other colleges easily got TCS and Infosys. Now, people doubt my ability because they hardly understand the difference between service based and product based companies.. Uhhh poor me. πŸ˜”
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Nick_Sharma
    people doubt my ability because they hardly understand the difference between service based and product based companies.. Uhhh poor me. πŸ˜”
    Because of this reason only, I got placed in an IT company ( My big mistake) . Being an electrical engineer, I am sure I am going to have a hard time over there from july.πŸ˜‰
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    #-Link-Snipped-#: But at least you are lucky to land up on something. People don't understand my words when I say that its tough to get in product based companies. Its depressing at times.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Nick_Sharma
    #-Link-Snipped-#: But at least you are lucky to land up on something. People don't understand my words when I say that its tough to get in product based companies. Its depressing at times.
    Its long way to go. If we start listening to people around us, we cant achieve anything. And I am sure , You too will land up in something( product based companies). All the best Nick.πŸ‘

note: You have to start helping me, Because I am not good at Computer Science engineering.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I expect I get a service company and then I can try for the tougher ones i.e. product companies. Thank You πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm one of those who've a degree in Electrical engineering and ended up working for a software company. I've worked for a service company and also a global leader products company. The thing is; it's *very* difficult to get selected in a products company as they mostly 'claim' to have lot of high-tech work.

The reality is that not a lot of tech work is done in India; even in the 'product companies'.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Subex Limited do have a lot of tech work in India as its an India based MNC. It has a great reputation in telecom sector and all the top telecom companies are its customers for its risk resolution and fraud management systems. Also it is famous for its ROC concept ROCware is something that is provided by Subex. May be that's why they were so strict in their recruitments πŸ˜”
  • greatcoder
    greatcoder
    Actually Indian IT companies like TCS, Wipro, INfi etc and other "Mass Recruiters" dont hire quality engineers because the nature of work done here is really terrible. Most of the people are either involved in copy paste kind of work or Data feeding etc. The overall job requires no application of brain and thus they can hire such students on very low packages.
    On other hand good companies like google, microsoft etc need people who can actually apply their engineering knowledge and come out with something fruitful for the company, thus they hire quality and selection criteria for them is really tough.

Hope this answers your concern.
  • greatcoder
    greatcoder
    lakshmidhar
    Hi guys i got selected in tcs on campus which was held on 17-09-2011.
    Once u clear yout=r aptitude u r sure to be get selected based on a factor that u a very confident calm and composed.
    technical and mr rond went for me very well nad hr is a formality round
    tTHEY ARE LOOKING FOR ECE PEOPLE SO ECE GUYZ DO WELL U HAVE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY..
    They are looking for anyone with engineering degree. The day is not far when they will start hiring class 12th people, they are ruining Indian Education
  • Pakmei
    Pakmei
    Unfortunately, the world is unfair. I got my degree 8 moths ago as Industrial Ingineer. I spent 6 moths trying to find a work (with a good salary, more than 1000 euros), but it was impossible so I move to Germany, and here it is as bad as there if you do not know german. Practically, 70% of the University's colleges have acquired their job through contacts.(family)
  • avii
    avii
    Have a look at here guys for product vs service based companies : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    aarthivg
    Because of this reason only, I got placed in an IT company ( My big mistake) . Being an electrical engineer, I am sure I am going to have a hard time over there from july.πŸ˜‰
    But why do you want to work as a software engineer when you have willingly applied for Electrical engineering? 😲

Same question to #-Link-Snipped-#, well I already know his answer from his interview πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I joined IT company because of the following reasons :-

1. I was clueless about my own career; but I knew I wanted a lot of free time for myself to figure out what to do.

2. I thought of preparing for CAT to get an admission in IIM/ISB so that I could meet like minded people (I used to think that I'll find entrepreneurial mindsets at MBA institutes)

3. Office was at a 10 minute walk from my home.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Expected πŸ˜€
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Issue
    But why do you want to work as a software engineer when you have willingly applied for Electrical engineering? 😲

Same question to #-Link-Snipped-#, well I already know his answer from his interview πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€
    Only one reason.
    They are not recruiting girls in core company.
  • naga archana
    naga archana
    my sister got selected in TCS and even she didn't face any question regarding technical issues.but one simple question she was asked is what is the difference between "beside" and "besides"?
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    3. Office was at a 10 minute walk from my home.
    For me its going to be two and half hours😲
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aarthivg
    For me its going to be two and half hours😲
    Better relocated to your company's cubicles 😁
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    Better relocated to your company's cubicles 😁
    I am ready to do it, if the company permit meπŸ˜‰
  • RobertHideren
    RobertHideren
    This is really a sad situation because the person who even don't know any thing about the header file had secured a job.We have to think about the situation of the losers of the job and about their struggle , What is their future and how would they again qualify for a better one? They should be produced some source before they left .

• Alpesh Rathod
    Alpesh Rathod
    HEY GUYS TOMORROW I HAVE AN INTERVIEW IN TCS .AT GANDHINAGAR-GUJARAT. WHAT TO DO NOW ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alpesh Rathod
    HEY GUYS TOMORROW I HAVE AN INTERVIEW IN TCS .AT GANDHINAGAR-GUJARAT. WHAT TO DO NOW ?
    Prepare and appear for the Interview. You may read 'How to crack any interview' guide available in our resources section: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Alpesh Rathod
    Alpesh Rathod
    hey i completed interview on 3rd May .its was awesome ..anyways now waiting for mail from them ..hone i got job in TCS πŸ˜€ .Thank you all.

Edited By MOD : Reason -> SMS Lingo.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alpesh Rathod
    hey i completed interview on 3rd May .its was awesome ..anyways now waiting for mail from them ..hone i got job in TCS πŸ˜€ .Thank you all.

Edited By MOD : Reason -> SMS Lingo.
    Wish you all the best. Do share your entire Interview experience so that others can benefit as well.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    I would like to add a point here, we are making education system to a money making system by making only students from good colleges all get placed , whereas a brilliant innovative student from a less known college may be still found wandering for the job , I think accredited colleges and taking students from only those colleges is sending a wrong message to students that they should take admission in only those colleges.

This has increased even suicide rates , check out the news in TN results released recently, around 29 students committed suicide , If you see at the marks they have received they are really good like 85-93% , but due to such high pressures of placements based college selection , they went into such measures

A equivalent opportunity system needs to be build in my view
  • Alpesh Rathod
    Alpesh Rathod
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wish you all the best. Do share your entire Interview experience so that others can benefit as well.
    ohk. about interview, don't worry anything about it guys.There are three session in interview 1) document verification ,2) Technical intrview , 3)HR interview .It was very easy .I spend 8 hours in TCS campus 8 AM to 4 PM. There was awesome campus in TCS-gandhinagar. But it should be very best if we got job in there.

SMS Lingo>
  • Alpesh Rathod
    Alpesh Rathod
    Alpesh Rathod
    ohk. abt interview dnt wrry anything abt it guys.thr r three session in interviw 1) document verification ,2) Technical intrvw , 3)HD intervw .its ws vry easy πŸ˜€ .i spend 8 hours in TCS campus 8 AM to 4 PM. thr ws awesum campus in TCS-gandhinagar. bt it should be vry best if we got job in thr. πŸ˜€
    ... ....
    sorry its "HR interviw" in 3rd session not HD intrvw. .is thr any option to edit comment? /
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Alpesh Rathod
    ... ....Is thr any option to edit comment? /
    I have edited your post.

Kindly avoid using SMS Lingo (SMS Language) like : thr for there, u for you, intrvu for interview ,etc.
    Enjoy your stay in CrazyEngineers & Feel free to explore πŸ˜€
  • Alpesh Rathod
    Alpesh Rathod
    Abhishek Rawal
    I have edited your post.

Kindly avoid using SMS Lingo (SMS Language) like : thr for there, u for you, intrvu for interview ,etc.
    Enjoy your stay in CrazyEngineers & Feel free to explore πŸ˜€
    Ok. Thanks Abhishek . Who is admin of crazzyengineers ? It's my first time on this site on a post about Job.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    aarthivg
    Even I had my TCS interview for 30 minutes.
    All based on my interesting subjects.
    Here's my TCS experience last year
    TCS Campus Selection Procedure

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

we are designing power amplifier of frequency 1-30MHz , 1000 watts output ! its actually for weather space monitoring so for its simulation which software we should use either ADS...
A very very interesting topic, thought of sharing the same with you all.... Official Google Blog: Microsoft’s Bing uses Google search resultsβ€”and denies it Whats your take on this? -CB...
Let us discuss about artificial intelligence here Please share anything you know about this topic .It may include definition even
Hello CEans, I have a suggestion to those guys who has featured on KYCEan to put their page in their signature so that even also the thread became old and...
3D is entertaining. 3D takes user experience to newer heights. Could be the reason that every upcoming gadget with a screen is aiming to get 3D experience. But do we...