Talking electronics? Timer Project ideas

I'd like to start a side project between this semester and next and need some help.

I want to make a timer that counts down from 2m:00s to 0m:00s then repeats. I want to have an input button for power on/off and a button that cycles between count enable/disable and a button that resets / starts the counting. Finally (and the hard part) I would like it to say things such as "10 seconds remaining" when it gets to 0m:00s.

I have a hardware idea and VHDL implementation for the counting circuit as well as in the input buttons and state machine. BUT I have never done anything that reads or writes voice to memory so I'm not sure where to begin.

My basic plan is [sram] -read--> [amplifier] --> [speaker].

How is sound stored in hardware?
How can I tell sram to send data to amplifier in VHDL?
What chip should I look into when I want to actually make the circuit?
Am I overlooking something? Is there an easier method?

Thanks for any ideas. I'm not doing this for class so I'm in no hurry. I wouldn't mind if I simply get pointed to a book or website that has information on this.

Replies

• pracas
    pracas
    I think there are voice playback IC's available. I mean you can record and retrieve sound - perhaps you can find 1 in a chanting box.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Happy Birthday to our CEan madhumurundi ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ May your dreams come true ๐Ÿ˜€
CEans, CE was born on November 26, 2005 and we have a tradition of celebrating November 26 as "CrazyEngineers Day". Today we are celebrating our fourth birthday! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Have a...
Announcement: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/30352-happy-crazyengineers-day.html All your wishes in this thread ๐Ÿ˜
Guess how much India is spending on keeping the sole surviving 26/11 Pakistani terrorist alive and healthy in prison? Over Rs. 30 crore and counting. As India observes the first...
Hello, If you are reading this and not yet a member of CE, join us today and help us set another milestone! Today's our 4th anniversary and we are just...