Switching from testing to development

Hi there,
I am a student pursuing MCS(Comp Science). I am currently doing my internship from a company. Initially i was hired as an intern in DEVOPS but due to some reason i have been working in Testing. i have worked on manual,automation as well as performance testing till date.
Now it is possible that they will hire me permanently as part of QA team, and it seems like i wont be shifting to DEVOPS after all. I am not sure what exactly DEVOPS is but i always wanted to work in coding. I also have another offer as a developer in another company. But this is a very good company and i don't want to leave. What should i do?? Will it be possible for me to shift into coding later or is DEVOPS a better option???

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - The most suitable thing to do is to check with your project managers or HR whether there is any possibility of switching to development profile in your current company.

I'd prefer the role over the company any day; because the company name won't hold much value over your regular day-to-day work. If you are not enjoying the work; the company you are working for does NOT matter.
  • ria91
    ria91
    Thank you Kaustubh,
    I will keep in mind everything you said, but as per current trend i have heard that DEVOPS is an emerging field and also involves development. This option is not currently present in many companies so should i give preference to coding(development) or continue here if i get an opportunity to shift to DEVOPS?
  • ram_149955
    ram_149955
    Hi,
    Don't do the mistake what I did few years ago. #-Link-Snipped-#advice is 200% correct.
    If you are interested in coding, accept the other developer offer. It may look foolish to leave the big company but the role matters.

If you continue to be in the current company in testing role and you want to switch to development after 1 or 2 years, it becomes very tough and you may even lose interest also.

Usually big companies don't encourage employees from switching roles..so it is highly unlikely that you will be given developer role. Stay with the current company only if they offer you developer role right now or if you decided to take your career in testing.

It is always good to start career in a small company when you are in the initial phase of career. The same big company will recruit you as a developer once you have experience even from small company.

All the best!
  • ria91
    ria91
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    thanks a lot for your reply! i will definitely take yours and kaustubh's advice. I wont continue there if they offer me a job in testing.
  • ria91
    ria91
    @#-Link-Snipped-#,
    But my question was a bit different, what i was asking was that if i do get a chance to shift to DEVOPS within that company, will it be a better option than pure development??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Read this article on 'How 'DevOps' is Killing the Developer'. I'm not sure what kind of role you wish to work on. It'd be wiser to talk to the concerned authorities in the company and find out all the information you need about devops. As #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned, it's the role that's matter more in the longer run over the company.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

(From Wash Post) Quote: Americans hold about 11 million meetings a day on average, and workers say about one-third of that meeting time is unproductive. But while your company may...
Turing Robotic Industries have announced their new Android smartphone that not just offers secure communication capabilities like the well known Blackphone, it is also being claimed to be one of...
Name: Edson Bundala, Location: Tanzania, Occupation: Student at SUA
Xiaomi gives itself another reason to stand among world's top three smartphone distributors. This Chinese handset manufacturer has launched another trump card of a phone called Mi 4i which could...
I am basically from nagpur, studying in NIT surat, Computer Engineering ,3rd year. I wanted to do summer internship in nagpur. can you help me with this? i meant can...