Switching a Di Box

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a college project and some help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I wish to use an Arduino to control a device (whether that be a Relay or a Mosfet etc.) that will replicate the logic of a switch found inside a common DI box.

The logic can be seen in the following pictures....

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
Originally I planned to use to Mosfets but make sure they were reversed.

[​IMG]
Obviously the same Mosfets are on the other side!

First of all would this work ?

It was recommended to me that a relay be used. Having done some initial research I'm not sure why a relay would help or how it would be operated from an Arduino?

This is my first post so please be nice 😀

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    First of all welcome to CE ! And i really like your way you're expressing your query.
    I would like to ask some questions, are you going to interface that switches with your arduino board? And from that switch you want to generate a logic which is replicant of the switch. Is that true?
  • SilverWings
    SilverWings
    I wish to be able to use the digital outputs from an Arduino that eventually (by some device) make the contacts as show in the diagrams 😀

The switch in the diagram is the logic that I've figured out from desoldering the physical switch.

So yes replicate the switching functions by software that controls the Arduino.

(The Di box itself uses a 9Volt battery & the Arduino gives out 4.88V according to my multimeter )

Thanks for your quick reply - I hope I'm making sense!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    can you tell me in that switch common is Ground or VCC? As i think using one Transistor you can do this. either NPN or PNP depends on that common connection middle one.
  • SilverWings
    SilverWings
    I'm not really sure what those mean, what's the difference between Ground and VCC?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    You can Ground is common or zero volt and VCC is some positive voltage may be 3.3V or 5V
  • SilverWings
    SilverWings
    Thanks for your help.

I don't know how would I go about finding this out?

I have the switch in front of me, unfortunately the actual box is not currently at my house!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I'll post one circuit very soon that will make clear, what i understood.
  • SilverWings
    SilverWings
    Thanks, look forward to it!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    @SilverWings:- Did you find that Middle Connection?
  • SilverWings
    SilverWings
    Hi godfather, sorry for the late reply things have been crazy with Christmas etc.

I won't have access to the box until the 10th of January. (As it's not at my house)

What is it I need to do when I get access to the box, turn the device on and measure the voltage between the top pin and middle pin, and then bottom pin and middle pin etc. ?

Thanks for your patience!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yes, You got it! By that way we have clear vision that what exactly they are doing in DI box.
  • SilverWings
    SilverWings
    Fantastic, I'll get back to you round about the 10th.

Happy New Year to you!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    SilverWings
    Fantastic, I'll get back to you round about the 10th.

Happy New Year to you!
    Thank You and Same to you. 😀 Waiting 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Watch this and you will definitely share this video. It shows an act of kindness as its passed from one individual to the next and manages to boomerang back to...
Yes it is true. Scientists from University of Notre Dame have developed a paint which can generate electricity Sun-Believable! Notre Dame Researchers Develop Paint That Generates Electricity!
ENGINEERING QUALITY CONTROL OF SOLAR-POWERED INTELLIGENT WATER-SAVING IRRIGATION (IEEE MARCH 2010)
There's a constant request to suggest best resources & books to learn PHP coding. Now there are different levels everyone begins at: few are complete novices and few are familiar...
Hello Guys.. My Project Paper got selected in the IEEE conference. I'll be presenting on the month of April 2012. Can any one give some tips on 1.How to present...