Switch To iPad Interface In Chrome & Firefox By Changing User Agent String

Introduction

You’ve heard about the iPad, haven’t you. And chances are you want to get one soon. Well, why not check out how your favorite sites would look on an iPad before you get to lay your hands on the actual device. It could be done by changing the user agent string of your browser to that of iPad.

You can change user agent string of your browser and enjoy the iPad interface right inside it. Changing user agent string in Firefox and Safari is easy. But Chrome doesn’t offer a direct method to do it.

Guide for Google Chrome Browser

Here’s a step by step guide to change user string in Chrome and get the iPad interface.

1. Right click on the chrome shortcut and select Properties.

[​IMG]

2. Now go to “Shortcut” tab.

[​IMG]

3. In Target field, you will find this text written (where “username” is your windows username):

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Replace the text with the text shown below by copying the text and pasting it inside target field (make sure you have your actual windows username after C:\Users\.. ).

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe -user-agent="Mozilla/5.0(iPad; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B314 Safari/531.21.10"
4. Press OK.

Now open your Chrome browser. Open sites like Gmail, Twitter, YouTube that have released their iPad versions. Here’s a screenshot of Gmail in Chrome, which now is exactly like you’ll find it in an iPad.

[​IMG]

Here’s YouTube’s iPad interface in Chrome.

[​IMG]

Enjoy all the websites designed for iPad. You could also check how your own website looks on iPad (if you have one that is).

If you want to revert back to the original browser then you need to replace the user agent string with target location. Go to Chrome properties panel as mentioned in Step 1 and 2 and replace the user agent string with this text.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
If you are still getting the same iPad interface, clear the cache of your browser and it should be ok.

So, have you got the iPad yet? How’s the experience of using it?

Guide for Mozilla Firefox Browser

For the Firefox users, follow this simple instruction.

Go to about:config and it says “This might void your warranty!”. Click on “I’ll be careful, I promise!” and you will find a list of options.

On the list, right click on any item. Click on New » String.

On the “Enter the preference name” textbox, type general.useragent.override and on the general.useragent.override, type Mozilla/5.0(iPad; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B314 Safari/531.21.10.

Once done, close all the instances of Firefox (all open windows) and start Firefox and enjoy the new iPad interface.

PS: If you want to reset, go to about:config and in the Filter, type general.useragent.override, right click on it and click on Reset. Close all the instances of Firefox and open again to restore the previous view.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Please share your experiences in the replies!!! 😀

Replies

• Reya
    Reya
    Hey thanks for the info 😀
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    praveena211
    Hey thanks for the info 😀
    Say if its working for you... Also easy or tough! 😀
    Sorry! I guess it got double posted by accident! 😔
  • Reya
    Reya
    Its working perfectly!I will be using iPad interface in chrome!
    praveena211
    Its working perfectly!I will be using iPad interface in chrome!
    He he... Nice... 😀 Go on... 😀
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    Good one buddy!! Keep up the good work!! 😀
    slashfear
    Good one buddy!! Keep up the good work!! 😀
    Yey! Thanx... 😀
  • hemanross
    hemanross
    Not working error is path not found in xp
    hemanross
    Not working error is path not found in xp
    Hey, what did you do man??? Post your current shortcut string. I will say how to modify it... 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The original source of the article seems to be Switch To iPad Interface In Chrome By Changing User Agent String
    The_Big_K
    The original source of the article seems to be Switch To iPad Interface In Chrome By Changing User Agent String
    Ya looong back I took it from that... 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    praveenscience
    Ya looong back I took it from that... 😀
    Please refrain from copy-pasting articles. Also, I'd appreciate if you could write original articles and give appropriate credits to original source.
    The_Big_K
    Please refrain from copy-pasting articles. Also, I'd appreciate if you could write original articles and give appropriate credits to original source.
    Many of my blog post are copied from others... What can be done now? I can only provide original linkback here, is that fine?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    praveenscience
    Many of my blog post are copied from others... What can be done now? I can only provide original linkback here, is that fine?
    Don't post them on CrazyEngineers. Copy-pasting is no good and it lowers our rankings in search engines. I'd not expect copied articles from you.
    Sure. I will write up my own articles... 😀 Thanks for the info. BTW, the PHP login stuff, its my own article, wrote myself. I was expecting your comments... 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nice 😀 Will look into it. Troubleshooting newsletter since last few hours.
    The_Big_K
    Nice 😀 Will look into it. Troubleshooting newsletter since last few hours.
    What happened??? Oki come to conference... Else, my post will be said as spam by someone! Lolz... 😁
  • dhavaljsoni
    dhavaljsoni
    Hi,

I am using Ubuntu so is there any way for Ubuntu OS?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Good morning everyone! I wasn't entirely sure where to post this, but this forum seemed the most appropriate. I need to do some hardness testing to Rockwell B (idiotic customer...
hi dudes i am prasanna . doing my E&C engg. Very happy to be in CE. hope i make good friends.! 😀
This is the same thing we studied in our Database Management Systems. This is a practical use of JOINS. Consider this problem description: Problem: I want to create a database...
I recently install windows server 2008 R2 as my home server. It has two NIC card, one connected to internet, and other connected to my private network. Now I enable...
Guys have you ever tried ecommerce site and buy or sell something through it? How was your experience ? Is it reliable?