Switch from development to QA

Hi CrazyEngineers team,

I have been working into IT for almost 4.5 years now. I am into development since last 3 years (which I was never really a big fan off). The first year I was into testing and I liked my job. But had to switch to development as with this project I was getting a transfer to the place I wanted to. Now my development project (Banking domain and Choridant framework) is mainly a maintenance one. No much use of code, a simple jsp change or some simple logic change and most of the business changes where done with DML's. So my 3 years mainly covered only SQL. I am no more happy about this. I want to switch back to testing. I need suggestions. Please guide about how I can do this. What are the possibilities. Thanks.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Crazyme19
    I want to switch back to testing. I need suggestions. Please guide about how I can do this. What are the possibilities. Thanks.
    You should ideally look for a QA role in your existing organisation. You may have to talk to concerned authorities (HR, Managers) to see if they can put you in a new role. I'd also recommend getting a certification in QA; which would improve your chances of the switch.

If possible, get into projects that are focused on dB testing. You will be able to use your past experience into QA.

That said, you should ask very specific questions so that we can provide better answers. All the best!
  • Crazyme19
    Crazyme19
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You should ideally look for a QA role in your existing organisation. You may have to talk to concerned authorities (HR, Managers) to see if they can put you in a new role. I'd also recommend getting a certification in QA; which would improve your chances of the switch.

If possible, get into projects that are focused on dB testing. You will be able to use your past experience into QA.

That said, you should ask very specific questions so that we can provide better answers. All the best!
    Thanks Kaustubh for your time and response.
    I do have DB testing in my mind and also I am planning for an ETL Testing course. That requires DB skill as well and a little or more knowledge on datawarehousing and the specific tool.

Switching in my current organization is a little bit complicated as getting a release from the current project is not a happening thing. So only choice I have is to change the organization.

As u suggested, being specific about my question, I am more concerned on how I can convince the interviewers that I want to move into testing (being into a non testing requirement all this while). Will that require compromising on my CTC too? Also can you give me more details on what kind of certification I should look for. That will be helpful.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hai! I am Paakkaran. It's not my real name. It's my nickname. Howzaaat!!! Well we are all engineers, right? We can make a design for almost everything. I am giving...
Hi, I did M.Sc. in computer science and then after Cdac dac course from acts pune in 2009. And I was placed in amdocs at that time but due to...
how is sunbeam pune for wimc course ? plzz help asap
I got CDAC Kharghar Mumbai for DAC course. so please suggest me about faculty and placement status and also sugest to join for CDAC Kharghar.
Is VLSI students are eligible for IT jobs?