super bike idea.

i have said before in my introduction post that i am fond of motorcycles. and i plan to engineer some.

the idea was to build a genuine american motorcycle comany built mostly from american parts. and the idea was that in the begining i would buy engines from other companies until my company became rich enough to produce its own here in the united states. rotax was where i planned to get my engines. rotax has a good reputation #-Link-Snipped-#

already i am creating a list of things i want in the bike. and i have the idea of how i want it to look in my head. they say visualzation is one of the many keys to sucess.

but what i have noticed is that a few of the great ideas for what i want on the bike have already been patented. the perimiter brakes, the single sided swingarm.

i was wondering how i could use the perimiter style disc brakes legally since its patented.

i also wanted to know if i changed the design of the single sided swingarm slighly could i use it as my design. let me explain. a single sided swingarm is built so that you can change the back tire on a motorcycle quickly. all the weight is stressed on one side. it has to be rigid. now lets say the patented design uses one solid peice of aluminum that somehow has been hallowed out to be light and that the shape of this swingarm makes it very rigid and strong too.

now lets say i design a single sided swing arm built from titanium and instead of using a solid peice of metal i use several pipes going at diffrent angles to make it strong enough for track use.

would i not have to pay a patent fee because the design is diffrent or would i pay a patent fee because the concept of the swingarm only having 1 side to it was developed by another person.

another idea i had was a 3 way split radiator. one on each side and one under the seat. john britten came up with the under the seat radiator if i remember corectly. and buell came up with the air scoops on the side to cool the engine if i remember corectly. though i'm not sure if the radiators where housed in those scoops. roehr keeps his radiators on the side of his bike.

the air scoops would bring in the air and force it agaist the radiators. the air would then be directed to the seat radiator. all to maximize engine cooling. and if posible to the airbox and then to the seat radiator.

an idea that is up for reveiw later in my planning process is an underseat tank. from what i have been told many formula 1 motorcycles have the tank under the seat and not where most tanks are. this would reduce topheavyness and keep the weight centered.

underslung exhaust. i'm damn sure buell came up with this one. this design is being adopted by various other motorcycle companies. the yamaha fz6r
being one bike. this also centers the gravity. however for cosmetic reasons i came up with an idea(which i later found out mv agusta had done) and that is a undertail 4 way exhaustport.(in other words keep the underslung muffler but have pipes fllow up under the tail just to look great)
the idea of that agressive looking form of exhaust was interesting to me.

the bikes frame was to be a trelis frame.many v twin sportbikes(like what i want to build) use this type of frame. suzuki sv650sf,all hyosung sportbikes,most ducati just to name a few. the trelis frame is simple and will last til i can come up with better.

any sugestions?

note. within 2 weeks i'll have a project update including a video (maybe) and artwork.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Guys, I have read an article today ๐Ÿ˜€ It said yesterday is shahrukh khan's birthday thats not the news but I read something interesting ๐Ÿ˜€ A fan of him...
I AM using ultrasurf9.6 i can't download the torrent files. inform me what are all the seetings i have to change to download the torrent file,and to use utorrent to...
Hi, CE's I have achieved some mails in my mail box.. but whenever i need those mail once again how to get.. those mails ???? ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜•
There's an interesting story behind this! I went to an interview where the interviewer (who looked pretty knowledgable) asked me, among other things, to write a program in C++ to...
I could not add new posts in the new pages of my wordpress blog. Is it possible or not? Regular bloggers Help Me