Suggestions regarding light intranet website

Recently a friend asked me for help in developing a small website working in their their company's intranet.

Basically it has the following features:
  • Admins can upload an excel sheet containing details of all employees
  • Each employee can login and view their specific details, which is parsed from the excel sheet
  • Admins can create and edit announcements (preferably with text formatting capabilities)

Q (1) My friend suggested using WordPress in the back-end. Would this be of any advantage over a php site done from scratch, considering the above features?

Q (2) What are the best practices (modules, excel format etc) to be followed for the parsing of data from the spreadsheet? Looking forward to suggestions from people who have worked with similar scenarios.

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    We have a SharePoint site, developed for the system admin to upload the details of all the computers, any maintenance he does and the ilk.

You can explore this option as well if this suits you. You will need a dedicated server for this. Since we already have a Windows 2003 Server, we use that for SharePoint as well.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For intranet - I don't think Wordpress is the best choice. However, before you eliminate it as an option, try searching for ready made plugins which you can use and modify the code to suite your needs.

Unless your friend is too specific about using Excel (and fine with all the information being stored in database), I'd recommend Wordpress+Buddypress combo. It would help his organization have an internal 'social network' with profiles, life feed, groups and so on. You can of course customize it to your needs easily. 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

MICA (Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad) has declared that it will be considering CAT scores for 2012-14 batch candidates. Till 2008-09, it used to consider these scores but as soon...
1. The difference between the local value & face value of 7 in the numeral 32675149 is Answers 75142 64851 5149 69993 (Answer) 2. 8597 - ? = 7429 -...
Hai this is harikrishna 2nd year mechanical engineering.i want to share all my doubts and info with all of you.so can you keep touch with me!
hi, i m presently persuaing my 7th sem in chemical engg.(b.tech). i m confused regarding higher studies or jobs ( that too it companies). If studies then which higher studies...

hai

hai .....................this is somesh .....................................😁😁