Suggestion needed in selection of biofuel

Hi CEans,
I am going to do a project in Alternative fuels and especially in Biodiesel to use in Diesel engines.My guide had asked me to research on non edible oils that can be used as Biodiesel.
As i search, I got mainly four oils that has very good to be used as biodiesel.They are
1)Madhuca indica,
2)Jatropha Curcas,
3)Pongamia pinnata,
4)Mellia azadiracta.
I choose neem(i.e. Mellia azadiracta.). I want CEans view on this. Is it good to do it with neem oil?
My friend is doing with cooking oil and I am doing with Neem oil.
Please suggest details on feasibility, chemicals availability and benefits on this.
@#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I did investigate biodiesel a few years back. President Abdul Kalaam was also keen on Jatropha. I have been planting Jatropha since 1980. It is a plant that grows in semi arid zones without much fertilizers or care. It is a beautiful plant. The nut is called the psychic nut as eating the nut can cause hallucinations. Some wandering gypsies ate a bunch of the seeds from the hedge where we had planted it in Bangalore and were lying under the bushes in a stupor.

However, in my opinion this may be the source of choice.

There is one report against Jatropha saying that Kenya reports higher emissions from Jatropha fuel.

#-Link-Snipped-#

www.jatrophaworld.org

l#-Link-Snipped-#

A contrary report:

Jatropha Biofuel Project: Emissions Up to Six Times Greater Than Fossil Fuels | Climate & Capitalism
  • Karthikeyan jaisankar
    Karthikeyan jaisankar
    nice to hear sarath...whether its working???
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Hi friends, I am happy to inform that I had finallt found my source.Its none other than Neem oil.
    Our project deals with the Extraction of Neem biodiesel using transesterification and testing its performance in a single cylinder diesel engine.
  • Karthikeyan jaisankar
    Karthikeyan jaisankar
    🎉👍hardwork never fails!!!!
    Need suggestions.
    I saw some journals having graph for emission where it was plotted with CO vs Time.
    I want to know whether it is posdible to find it in this way or it can be found like load vs CO?
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks in advance.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Can you please post a link to the graph. Does not make sense to me. How can there be a variation of CO emission with time in a steady state situation?

In an IC engine there could be variation between idling, steady running and acceleration/deceleration.
    While neem oil is a renewable resource, what will be the yield/hectare and cost?
    A.V.Ramani
    Can you please post a link to the graph. Does not make sense to me. How can there be a variation of CO emission with time in a steady state situation?

In an IC engine there could be variation between idling, steady running and acceleration/deceleration.
    While neem oil is a renewable resource, what will be the yield/hectare and cost?
    gas emissioniS THIS GRAPH CORRECT?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The X axis goes up to 1000 secs. Does this represent the ehaust of the IC engine or is this the exhaust of a steady state burning of the fuel in a burner?
    What do the percentages in the caption represent?
    CO2 and O2 becoming horizontal seems to be normal behaviour in a steady state situation. Drop in CO with time may be due to stabilization of combustion.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi! Im a pretty young guy, having an idea of making pellets out of hen excrement. My family runs an egg-production system, and we have a problem with storing and...
‘Can magnet with only one pole exist?’ is the question that can now be answered with a yes. Physicists have successfully synthesized a magnetic particle having only North Pole allowing...
Hello, I am new to NS2 (network simulation) software. I want to implement AODV (AD-Hoc On-demand Distance Vector) routing protocol in ns2. I need guidance about the coding in of...
Leon Anavi, the professional opensource software engineers and regular contributor to QtTizen & Tizen project, is one of the speakers at FOSDEM'14 conference which is taking place in Brussels. Leon...
About 140,000 lives were lost in India in 2012 in road accidents and an estimated 17% (about 24,000) of them were the vehicle occupants. What could be the reasons for...