CrazyEngineers
  • Hi CEans,
    I am going to do a project in Alternative fuels and especially in Biodiesel to use in Diesel engines.My guide had asked me to research on non edible oils that can be used as Biodiesel.
    As i search, I got mainly four oils that has very good to be used as biodiesel.They are
    1)Madhuca indica,
    2)Jatropha Curcas,
    3)Pongamia pinnata,
    4)Mellia azadiracta.
    I choose neem(i.e. Mellia azadiracta.). I want CEans view on this. Is it good to do it with neem oil?
    My friend is doing with cooking oil and I am doing with Neem oil.
    Please suggest details on feasibility, chemicals availability and benefits on this.
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberFeb 1, 2014

I did investigate biodiesel a few years back. President Abdul Kalaam was also keen on Jatropha. I have been planting Jatropha since 1980. It is a plant that grows in semi arid zones without much fertilizers or care. It is a beautiful plant. The nut is called the psychic nut as eating the nut can cause hallucinations. Some wandering gypsies ate a bunch of the seeds from the hedge where we had planted it in Bangalore and were lying under the bushes in a stupor.

However, in my opinion this may be the source of choice.

There is one report against Jatropha saying that Kenya reports higher emissions from Jatropha fuel.

#-Link-Snipped-#

<a href="https://www.jatrophaworld.org/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">www.jatrophaworld.org</a>

l#-Link-Snipped-#

A contrary report:

<a href="https://climateandcapitalism.com/2011/03/22/biofuel-project-emissions-up-to-six-times-greater-than-fossil-fuels/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Jatropha Biofuel Project: Emissions Up to Six Times Greater Than Fossil Fuels | Climate & Capitalism</a>
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Karthikeyan jaisankar

MemberFeb 13, 2014

nice to hear sarath...whether its working???
    Cancel
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran

MemberFeb 14, 2014

Hi friends, I am happy to inform that I had finallt found my source.Its none other than Neem oil.
    Our project deals with the Extraction of Neem biodiesel using transesterification and testing its performance in a single cylinder diesel engine.
    Cancel
  • Karthikeyan jaisankar

MemberFeb 15, 2014

🎉👍hardwork never fails!!!!
    Cancel

MemberMar 24, 2014

Need suggestions.
    I saw some journals having graph for emission where it was plotted with CO vs Time.
    I want to know whether it is posdible to find it in this way or it can be found like load vs CO?
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks in advance.
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberMar 24, 2014

Can you please post a link to the graph. Does not make sense to me. How can there be a variation of CO emission with time in a steady state situation?

In an IC engine there could be variation between idling, steady running and acceleration/deceleration.
    While neem oil is a renewable resource, what will be the yield/hectare and cost?
    Cancel

MemberMar 25, 2014

A.V.Ramani
    Can you please post a link to the graph. Does not make sense to me. How can there be a variation of CO emission with time in a steady state situation?

In an IC engine there could be variation between idling, steady running and acceleration/deceleration.
    While neem oil is a renewable resource, what will be the yield/hectare and cost?
    gas emissioniS THIS GRAPH CORRECT?
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberMar 25, 2014

The X axis goes up to 1000 secs. Does this represent the ehaust of the IC engine or is this the exhaust of a steady state burning of the fuel in a burner?
    What do the percentages in the caption represent?
    CO2 and O2 becoming horizontal seems to be normal behaviour in a steady state situation. Drop in CO with time may be due to stabilization of combustion.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register