Suggest some suitable materials

I need some suggestions regarding alternative material for a high pressure seamless gas cylinder. The present material of cylinder is Si-Mn Steel and is to be replaced by another lightweight material that provides similar or better mechanical properties.

Replies

• vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    The other material which can be used is Manganese ,Chromium and Molybdenum (34Mn2V, 30CrMo, 34CrMo4 ).
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    u can use magnus and cromium...
  • mechky
    mechky
    I need some materials with yield strength>200Mpa and density<7g/cc.
    Some other constraints are - corrosion resistance & stability at high temperatures(around 150 degree celsius).
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    how about nickel-steel ?
  • mechky
    mechky
    zaveri
    how about nickel-steel ?
    Nickel Steel alloys are basically Stainless Steels. Stainless Steels have Yield Strength of about 600Mpa and density of 7-8g/cc. So, it is similar to the present material which is Si-Mn steel and won't result in any significant weight reduction, if implemented.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There are many fibre reinforced composites that may stand your duty. PEEK is suitable but expensive.
    You can look at ULTEM - Polyetherimide resin from SABIC. It has a yield strength close to what you want, excellent high temperature properties and a very low density.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    There is a software called CES Edupack, I dont know if you have heard of it but it can be used to select materials based on criteria you specify. I am not sure if there is a trial version out there but if you can get your hands on it it would help you.
    Read up on it a bit:
    Page Not Found :(
  • mechky
    mechky
    CE Designer
    There is a software called CES Edupack, I dont know if you have heard of it but it can be used to select materials based on criteria you specify. I am not sure if there is a trial version out there but if you can get your hands on it it would help you.
    Read up on it a bit:
    Page Not Found :(
    Yes, I came to know about that software in 'Material Selection in Mechanical Design' book by Michael Ashby. While searching for it on google, I found another useful website - matbase.com which also allows to search for materials according to specified criteria. Anyways, thanks for your suggestion.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Anybody heard about burnbit.com? I have a very slow internet connection and I downloaded a file around 800 MB. The power went of in between the download and finally the...
Hello fellow CEans, I need to design a LNA in a cascode topology in Cadence/ADS which is used in smart phones. Typically the LNA should be capable of processing the...
Name: Harsh joshi Diploma Metallurgy, B.E metallurgy( Final Year) Having 3yrs of exp. after Diploma Vadodara,Gujarat,India
Hello all, Please guide me for selecting my final year project of B.E metallurgy.... Thnks..
My self Vishnu Gopan. Mechanical engineering student. Resides in India. Like to share and collect knowledge.