stupid basic dilemma

Can anyone answer this basic dilemma please?

I have a 1 F capacitor with 1 V across it.
I have a second capacitor with no charge, V = 0, same capacitance

(E = 0.5*CV^2)

Initial energy = 0.5*C1*V1^2 + 0.5*C2*V2^2 = 0.5*1*1^2 + 0 = 1 J

I put the two in parallel.

Original charge = q = C1V1 + C2V2 = 1 * 1 + 0 = 1 C

New capacitance = Ct= 1 + 1 = 2 F

The charge eventually distributes itself across the total capacitance.

Total voltage across both capacitors = Vt = q/C = 1/2 = 0.5 V

so far so good ...

but Final energy = 0.5*Ct*Vt^2 = 0.5*2*0.5^2 = 0.5 J

where has the other 0.5 J gone? There is no resistance to dissipate energy ....

If you put them in series it is even stranger, you double your energy ...

What's going on here?

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Aha !! Nothing is lost my friend !!!

Initial energy = 0.5*C1*V1^2 + 0.5*C2*V2^2 = 0.5*1*1^2 + 0 = 1 J
    0.5*1*1^2 = 0.5 and not 1 !!!😁

Karthik
  • Tsardoz
    Tsardoz
    reachrkata
    Aha !! Nothing is lost my friend !!!

0.5*1*1^2 = 0.5 and not 1 !!!😁

Karthik
    Well I feel pretty stupid!

Initial energy = 0.5*C1*V1^2 + 0.5*C2*V2^2 = 0.5*1*1^2 + 0 = 0.5 J

AND

Final energy = 0.5*Ct*Vt^2 = 0.5*2*0.5^2 = 0.25 J

so there were 2 mistakes but the energy has still gone down.
    I found this on internet ...

The two-capacitor problem reconsidered
    Mayer, R.P.; Jeffries, J.R.; Paulik, G.F.
    Education, IEEE Transactions on
    Volume 36, Issue 3, Aug 1993 Page(s):307 - 309
    Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/13.231509
    Summary:The two-capacitor problem involving connecting a charged capacitor to an uncharged capacitor and accounting for the difference in energy between the initial and equilibrium states, is discussed. Heat due to electrical resistance in the connecting wires is usually cited for the energy loss. In this study, the wires are assumed to be perfectly conducting and without electrical resistance. The circuit then behaves as a loop antenna and radiates energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation (EMR). All loss of energy in the system can be accounted for through EMR considerations. Examples illustrate the rate of decay of the current in the circuit

also this link
    #-Link-Snipped-#

My final statement

If you put them in series it is even stranger, you double your energy ...

was wrong. The two capacitor problem only happens when they are connected in parallel.

In series, if you have a charged capacitor and put an uncharged one in series, the circuit is open loop and no charge transfer occurs. Final conditions equal initial conditions.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    So I think as you said this is due to EMI.

I have some questions here , if the second capacitor is charged initially to the same voltage and placed will the same thing happens?

I guess no , because as sudden voltage appears across the Capacitor which is initially uncharged this happens.

If we put a inductor in between what happens?

Will the voltage dissipation doesn't happen?
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    I think then it would act like a Tank circuit which can be used as an oscillator.

-Karthik

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Our generator, who art in the group, give us this day our daily cube. And forgive our trespasses into the Moebius domain, but lead us to the identity, and not...
Sir / Madam, My questions is, A test has 50 questions. A student scores 1 mark for a correct answer, -1/3 for a wrong answer, and –1/6 for not attempting...
Today I received E mail, that i would liked to share with you Dear All, Must Read and adopt ..and life will be beautiful Speech by Chetan Bhagat at Symbiosis......
Fake Voice 2.5 Size - 5.15 mb Fake Voice is a voice changer software which changes your voice to male, female, old, young, hard, shrill, or some one new. If...
Sorry, i didnt know what title i had to give for this. Im from India and whenever a job advertisement comes, there will be section of Pay scales where they...