Structural and design concepts

This thread is dedicated to all concepts and basic formula in analysis and design of a structure.😀

Replies

• anuraadha
    anuraadha
    when a simply supported beam is acted upon by a concentrated load (W kN) at the centre and uniformly distributed load (w kN/m). the shear force and bending moment is as shown
    ss beam
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Sign conventions for a beam
    sign
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    for the cantilevered beams the loading conditions and the respective SFD and BMD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Always the support reactions are determined by the equation of equilibrium
    sum of horizontal forces=0
    sum of vertical forces=0
    sum of moments= 0
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    What do you call the load in parabolic???
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    I guess you are asking about the shape of beam. when a uniformly distributed load acts on a beam the resulting bending moment takes the shape of parabola.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    nope. We have an exam..the load is already in parabolic and we need to draw the shear and moment diagram....
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yeah there is a loading condition where the load is parabolic distributed.
    it has no other names it is just parabolic load

[​IMG]
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    if we take the seismic load acting on the vertical face of dam or the forces due to waves they are all parabolically distributed. 😀
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Ah..ok. but, how can I solve that kind of problem???? I never expect it to be on our exam in Strength of Materials.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    well i've not solved a parabolic load too. 😔
    but i'll refer my books and let you know 😀
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    CIVILPRINCESS
    well i've not solved a parabolic load too. 😔
    but i'll refer my books and let you know 😀
    ok. I'll try to post the problem here.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    maria flor
    ok. I'll try to post the problem here.
    yeah do that 😀
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    The beam formulas under various loading conditions.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    statically indeterminate structure - It is a structure where the static equilibrium equations are insufficient for determining the internal forces and reactions on that structure.
    static indet
    Statically determinate structure
    - [FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]It is a structure which can be fully analyzed using the static equilibrium equations.[/FONT] e.g : remove the support B in above figure.
  • khelagor
    khelagor
    Thanks Anuraadha!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Maria sent us this song today. [video=youtube;HCbINd3oChY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCbINd3oChY[/video] I made a video with the lyrics of that song. 😁 Super-awesome work by Maria! PS: CE will stand up with CEans like...
For those who wish to participate in BAJA car making event, the registration is open. Please register here SAEINDIA - Team Management System. and https://www.bajasaeindia.org/ The registration will be open...
Hi guys, I have got problems with the Scanner MC1000 from Motorola. A few customers of my company are using this Mobile-Scanner with our own written software. 2 of them...
There is a free GlobalSpec virtual Product Design show on 20=04-2011. Product Design Show | April 20,2011 | Preview Video | GlobalSpec Events Bioramani
Nokia's Pushmail service has been banned by Department Of Telecommunication (DoT). “In view of the Intelligence Bureau’s report, Department of Telecom .unications is requested to advice the Telecom Service Providers...