Stress A Tensor

Second order Tensor is an open product of two vectors. Stress is also a second order Tensor. Open product of which two vectors constitute a stress tensor?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir, can help us. I am too confused with the same doubt. Also how is cauchy's theorem related to it?
  • arundtelang
    arundtelang
    Issue
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir, can help us. I am too confused with the same doubt. Also how is cauchy's theorem related to it?
    Cauchy’s equation gives resultant stress vector {σ}, at a point, on a plane defined by unit normal {n}, in terms of a stress tensor [τ].
    {σ}=[τ]{n}.
    It says that a stress tensor maps unit normal to a plane, at a point, as a resultant stress vector. Cauchy’s equation clearly makes out that a stress at a point cannot be a scalar or a vector. It has to be a second order tensor.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anybody help .. need a good book for vb.net ... clears the ideas and also the basic concepts . Thanks in adv.
hi all..iam a php devoloper..i struggled a lot while iam doing my engineering..especially in quality education,career guidance,lack of support for my thoughts...these are few..then i decided to change the things...plz...
As the manufacturers claim that there is a lot of leg room in the rear portion of the passenger compartment. what exactly do you think went into designing this. was...
What is the principle of the tube-light choke and starter ? I have observed that the starter is not just a capacitor, but it contains a capacitor and something else...
Now suppose you had a misadventure with this nature's killer, and yet you were lucky enough to escape with your life and suffer just a few bites. what should be...