stray capacitance

guys....is it true that standing below the power line is dangerous??people say that due to stray capacitance,we act like a capacitor...it aint a joke right??๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• Tsar
    Tsar
    A related question: Why do we get an electric shock fom a hot wire(phase) even though we are wearing slippers as an practical case we can see the the movie 3idiots where in both of the scenes the actors are wearing slippers and still receive shock!
  • Alienator
    Alienator
    wearing slippers will not prevent shocks....i have got hit from serious shocks when am in lab wearing shoes,apron etc etc...which help in resisting the magnitude of the shock....
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    guys stray capacitance occurs at high voltages see at 11KV to 400KV or higher voltages stray capacitance comes to picture so we need clearance for that even we dont touch lines we get shock if we have no clearance between wire and us
    so there exits stray capacitance due to high potential difference between wire capacitance
    so we should not stand nearer to such high voltage lines
    for more details refer to high voltage engineering by wadwa
  • Alienator
    Alienator
    thanks a bunch bro....๐Ÿ˜€
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Alienator
    guys....is it true that standing below the power line is dangerous??people say that due to stray capacitance,we act like a capacitor...it aint a joke right??๐Ÿ˜
    hey i didn't noticed this that will be because of ground capacitance i think not because of stray capacitance
  • Alienator
    Alienator
    most of my friends too said that holding an umbrella below the power line.....or anything that makes the distance between the person and the line shorter can make us act like a capacitor...
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Alienator
    most of my friends too said that holding an umbrella below the power line.....or anything that makes the distance between the person and the line shorter can make us act like a capacitor...
    yes thats right that capacitance is called as ground capacitance
  • Alienator
    Alienator
    narayana murthy
    yes thats right that capacitance is called as ground capacitance
    so is it harmful??
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Alienator
    so is it harmful??
    definitely
    i have a live example a worker working in our college unknowingly moved under 11KV line while working on roof
    he got shock and died
    thats the power
    he is not even touched the line note this point
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
  • Alienator
    Alienator
    oh... k thanx
  • Alienator
    Alienator
    and is there a difference between ground capacitance and stray capacitance?? :S
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    yes ground capacitance is with reference to ground and stray is between capacitors
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Capacitance
    look here buddy
  • parth 127
    parth 127
    guys i have a question about why this works can any one plz exdplain

VERY Simple motor - YouTube
  • parth 127
    parth 127
  • parth 127
    parth 127
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    its simple parth
    when a magnetic field and current is at 90deg difference then force will be exists here at another 90deg
    like flemings left hand rule
    here force will be done as a angular speed
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    parth 127
    guys i have a question about why this works can any one plz exdplain

VERY Simple motor - YouTube
    Here is its inverse:
    Toys from Trash

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how can i make a digital clock using 8051 microcontroller with three displays of seconds, minutes and hours using 7-segment display? Plz give the circuit digram.
Happy Birthday Anoop ๐Ÿ˜€ Wish you a many more happy returns of the day :myparty: ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ Have a rocking year ahead ๐Ÿ˜€
First of all i am happy to be with you all, i am a fourth year electrical engineer , me and my friend are planing to work in a project...
CEan MayurPathak celebrates his 300th Birthday today ๐Ÿ˜ . Wishing Mayur a very happy and prosperous birthday. PS: Hope to see you active on CE.
LG's announced the PZ850T Pentouch TV - a plasma tv that comes with a stylus-pen that can be used to draw on the TV screen. We don't know what'd be...