Stratasys selected by Georgia Tech and DARPA mentor programme to provide 3D printers

[HR][/HR]National programme is the first of its kind to put 3D printers in high school students’ hands
FRANKFURT 2nd September 2011 – (NASDAQ: SSYS) Stratasys today announced that it has been chosen by the Georgia Institute of Technology, a top U.S. research university, to provide its Dimension 3D Printers to select high schools across the U.S. as part of The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Manufacturing Experimentation and Outreach (MENTOR) programme.
The DARPA MENTOR programme is designed to boost engineering skills for high school students, as well as spark an interest in engineering, design, manufacturing, math and science-related university programmes. The four-year programme is focused on engaging high school-age students in a series of collaborative design and distributed manufacturing experiments, including using additive manufacturing machines (or 3D printers).
“This programme will provide students with skills they need to solve future design and engineering challenges, which will aid U.S. industry,” says Dr. David Rosen, Professor in Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology. “3D printers play an important role in the hands-on and “minds-on” learning, which the MENTOR programme facilitates. Stratasys FDM technology is instrumental to this programme.”
Starting in 2012, Stratasys Dimension and other brand 3D printers will be installed in more than 20 high schools selected by the DARPA programme as part of the first phase roll-out. Currently, one system has been implemented by a pilot institution to begin developing curriculum for the programme. Additional 3D printers will be placed in subsequent phases over a four year period.
“We estimate this programme will generate orders for about 50 Dimension 3D printers over the course of the four year term,” says Stratasys Vice President of Direct Digital Manufacturing, Jeff DeGrange. “And we think that serious interest in 3D printing from an organisation like DARPA is evidence of a solid future for additive manufacturing.”

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am unable to understand what is cloud computing and a man called Vishwa Bandhu Dasgupta is confusing me more. How can rains affect the working of computers? I am...
Why cant we use a single voltage stabilizer for a house? is it necessary to use different stabilizers for different equipments.
Hi all, I am Roshan Aithal, an MCA final year student. Thought Works company is visiting our campus on 7th September, Kindly help me by mailing me the previous placement...
85 are married, 80 have cars, 75 have phones, and 70 have houses. How many minimumpersons are married, have phone, car and houses on a scale of 100. ......................show me...
Generally it is observed that electricity is transmitted in multiples of 11KV,such as 110KV,220KV,33KV,440KV etc .Why it is so ?. How-ever recently it is found that transmission voltage is 750KV...