Stop India centric threads, please!!

Can we stop having India centric debates and threads. Quite many have sprung up in the last couple of weeks. The CE tagline says "Uniting Engineers Across the World". Starting debates about Telengana or Shah Rukh Khan or Shiv Sena or any other such news isn't fair on others. This is one of the biggest reasons many think that this is a forum only for Indian Engineers.
This is a request.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You have a point there, but perhaps there is another way? The Indian centric topics generate good activity on CE, and depriving our CEans from India of that might not work well ๐Ÿ˜›
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I agree 100% with patty
    We need to stop it or at least reduce it.
    understood that we get traffic et al from the threads but not necessary a healthy discussion with regional issues creeping the sections which makes no sense for people outside INDIA.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, this is interesting actually. When we talk about global events, its most likely to be just about US or Europe. If we were to join other engineering forums, no doubt it that would be the case.. yet others would still consider it "Internationally" inclined.

So there seems to be a dilemma. Expose us "outsiders" to the culture and happenings of India, an emerging superpower.. yet risking alienating us since we don't understand what is going on? Maybe Indian centric threads can proceed, but with additional back stories, info or something for other people to understand. Anyone can participate in discussions as long as there is a theme or concept people, regardless of country, can relate to. We've already made the provision that English is to be the standard language of the forum. That is a start ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ๐Ÿ˜€ For that matter, personally I would be interested how US /Europe is affecting the world and my country in particular when I say international news rather than knowing indept about their internal politics .
    But if what ash mentioned is the case, I should not be having objection .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I had been thinking about this since long. The reason why Indian centric threads pop up because we have sections that may host any discussions viz. Debate, General Help & Chit Chat.

Its a responsibility of all regular CEans to refrain from posting India centric threads. However, we aren't saying they should be completely banned from the forums since India is very much a part of world.

We however have lost many experts from the forum because of the way questions are asked on the forums [sms language, free requests etc.]
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    We lost members experts yes that is correct the reason is also stated by Biggie.

But what is India centric?

Yeah may be the Separate State issue is a complete India Centric thread.

But that is the issue regarding some separation of a state from a country called India may be a political and country affair!

Now SRK Vs Shivsena is it a India Centric?

SRK is known world wide I personally think SRK issue came up because he has given support to Pakistan so pakistan is another country , I think that thread may not be India centric!

Anyway , there are more people on CE from India so discussions will arise, So I request people to start few discussions which are useful for Engineers across the world instead of thinking of already started threads!
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    English-Scared
    Now SRK Vs Shivsena is it a India Centric?
    This topic will be known & discussed by mostly indians, so its India Centric in my opinion.
    India Centric threads makes the non-indian members feel isolated, thats not good in any respect. I totally agree with the point. It will lead to localization of CE. In present scenario I have experienced there is very less foreign participation in any type of thread. By the way, this is a technical discussion forum, our focus should be mainly on technical threads. In my opinion concerned people should make some strict changes in the rule or the situation will get worse. Redundancy of threads is another big issue here.
  • lal
    lal
    Let us unite and build a global CE forum...
    That's all what i have got to say!!!๐Ÿ˜€
  • gohm
    gohm
    Good points Ash. Here are my thoughts after taking my mod hat off and thinking as a member. As someone from the US and who also (though rarely cause I'm a CEan!) visits US/ASME forums, most of the talk there is US/Europe based. Engineering based discussion of course can relate to all globally. Maybe regional themed forums would be good for discussions on regional topics like Indian codes, US codes, etc. For me personally, it would help if topics specific to a location are explained with background data so all can understand if it is in a non-region based forum, examples would again be codes or cricket etc. A proper thread title also can assist as a member reading I can be clued in that it is a local topic thread and choose to participate or ignore.

ash
    Well, this is interesting actually. When we talk about global events, its most likely to be just about US or Europe. If we were to join other engineering forums, no doubt it that would be the case.. yet others would still consider it "Internationally" inclined.

So there seems to be a dilemma. Expose us "outsiders" to the culture and happenings of India, an emerging superpower.. yet risking alienating us since we don't understand what is going on? Maybe Indian centric threads can proceed, but with additional back stories, info or something for other people to understand. Anyone can participate in discussions as long as there is a theme or concept people, regardless of country, can relate to. We've already made the provision that English is to be the standard language of the forum. That is a start ๐Ÿ˜€
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    A Role For Moderators As Annotaters?

To people unfamiliar with India, it would be interesting if some threads had annotations that explain the background of the issues being discussed. I don't know if this can be conveniently be arranged with the current forum software. Ideally, there could be a message that was set apart somehow from the main thread where a moderator could explain what is going on. Or perhaps such a message can be inserted as the first post in a thread as a preface. The message should be neutral toward the issues involved. Perhaps it would merely contain some links to other web pages that explain the news or issues.

From my viewpoint, in the USA, Crazyengineers is the only place on the web that I visit that exposes me the the culture and issues of India. It's true that I could visit other sites and learn about India, but engineering issues are what attract me. I'm not much into sociology and politics for their own sake. However, if such topics are put directly in front of me, I do have some curiosity about them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Possibly for the first time ever, our review of a new V12 engined supercar starts with the back seats. But what else would you expect? As the firmโ€™s first saloon...
How to download ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals i think you guys react quickly.
Hi, I understand that a QPSK modulated signal will be transmitted further than a 16QAM or 16PSK signal in a LOS transmission. What is the relationship between the transmitting power,...
A young man asked Socrates the secret of Success. Socrates told the young man to meet him near the river the next morning. They met. Socrates asked the young man...
One truck driver was doing his usual delivery to IMH (Institute of mental health). He discovered a flat tyre when he was about to go home. He jacked up the...