Sterling engines in power plants: how about it ?

Well here is a new idea:

now in thermal power plants, which employ boilers and turbines, how about replacing the boiler shell with a giant sterling engine.

the main shaft of the engine can run the generator. the shaft will also drive a cooling fan, which will be positioned parallel to the top region of the engine cylinder. this region of the cylinder can have circumferential fins welded to it, and the fan can blow air, exactly on it.

by this idea, i think we are eliminating the equipment such as turbines, circulating pumps, economizers, etc.

what do you guys think of it ? any pros and cons associated with this ? any modifications you would like to add ?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    hey guys no ideas ?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Very true. In fact we can achieve carnot efficiency with stirling engine. The only problem is that, you will have a lot of trouble maintaining the equipment. Not to mention the problems with toggle joint.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Issue
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Very true. In fact we can achieve carnot efficiency with stirling engine. The only problem is that, you will have a lot of trouble maintaining the equipment. Not to mention the problems with toggle joint.

Toggle joint ? you mean that pin joint between the crankshaft and piston rod ?😘
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yes. The same.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Cams are mostly produced by milling operation, but then what is the detailed procedure ? what kind of cutting tool to be used ? what kind of machine (horizontal or...
I guess the title says it all . to be honest i am not literate in matters like these.
when i was young, i was given the impression that, this branch dealt with machinery and stuff. yesterday i was browsing the list of my 8th semester electives, and found...
After seeing some tough puzzles, thought I would post a simple one. Below it is. Pacchi has three boxes of fruits. One is full of mangoes, one full of bananas...
i want to get terminologies on railway engg. with brief description