Sterling engines: Discussions

As far as the working principle is concerned, the air in a closed cylinder(closed by a diaphragm, with a piston rod passing through it), is heated. the air next to the heated wall of the cylinder gets its density reduced , rises and pushes the piston upwards. And simultaneously the cooler air makes contact with the heated wall, and the process repeats.

speed of the crankshaft increases periodically as the heat supplied is constant, and as the temperature of the working fluid rises continuously.

As i see it the working of this engine is quite similar to that of a dc series motor (speed increases continuously).

Now what would happen if the temperature of the working fluid reached a saturation point, and if heat was still supplied to it. would the cylinder explode ? is this why this engine has no practical applications ? whats your say ?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Long long ago not very long ago our average lifetime was way above 100.. But slowly it deteriorated and now it has become 65(in an average)...! So, is "the food"...
What is meant by grade of cement? How is it determined and what is the procedure to determine the grade? I'd really appreciate your answers.
This problem might have been solved by now but the book i have states that this problem has not been solved yet(then)(my book is 3 years old)...! This is an...
I wrote my first XML code using XSL. But a problem has encountered when I am trying to execute it. It is displaying the error as error on line 1...
Netflix has now open sourced it's Chaos Monkey on 30th july. Chaos Monkey is nothing but a wild monkey that is left open within a cloud to terminate instances. Sounds...