Steering replaced by buttons

Hi,
I have a idea that "why not the buttons can replace the steering". All we know that just playing video games in pc often we use only the buttons. As we played well n those games, why not we can't in our real life.
Had this idea been implemented in any other vehicle....?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    Nice innovative thinking dude.
    as i see it , this would involve precision servo motors to actuate the rack and pinion gears. this would involve a large amount of precision engineering, and this coupled with the cost of the motors and ECU would send the cost of the car, skyrocketing.
  • mechky
    mechky
    ppkmech
    Hi,
    I have a idea that "why not the buttons can replace the steering". All we know that just playing video games in pc often we use only the buttons. As we played well n those games, why not we can't in our real life.
    Had this idea been implemented in any other vehicle....?
    If you have played any racing game, then you might have noticed how difficult 'handling' of the car becomes with buttons. And if you play that same game with a steering wheel which is available for pc games, then the handling becomes better. It is because 'sensitivity' is better and far more improved while using a steering wheel.
    The same reason is why we use steering in automobiles.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A potentiometer was tried replacing the bulky steering wheel. This failed because of lack of feed back. A spring was added to provide feed back of the amount of rotation. Somehow did not take off.
    Reliability of key pad is questionable along with the downstream issues detailed by #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# above.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I think steering wheel gives more sense of control, than operating button, unless and until one is 'used' to with buttons,I was thinking may be a touch screen with a MAP(kind of GPS), where a fingermovement along the road might steer the car, but that that too becomes non predictable
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    F1 cars don't have the typical gear shifts. They all use buttons. #-Link-Snipped-# may tell us more. 😀
  • ppkmech
    ppkmech
    bioramani
    A potentiometer was tried replacing the bulky steering wheel. This failed because of lack of feed back. A spring was added to provide feed back of the amount of rotation. Somehow did not take off.
    Reliability of key pad is questionable along with the downstream issues detailed by #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# above.
    Am extremely sorry sir I cant get your words clearly... would you please elaborate..
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Some kind of servo controlled mechanism was used in the place of normal steering. A centre zero potentiometer was used to drive this. If the knob was turned right the car would turn right and vice versa. In normal steering one gets a feed back on how much one has turned the steering wheel. With the potentiometer this was not there. So the user tended to turn too fast and too far.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    F1 cars don't have the typical gear shifts. They all use buttons. #-Link-Snipped-# may tell us more. 😀
    Apparently the racing teams have to construct the cars themselves.
    Quote:
    Steering Wheel
    The driver has the ability to fine tune many elements of the race car from within the machine using the steering wheel. The wheel can be used to change gears, apply rev. limiter, adjust fuel/air mix, change brake pressure, and call the radio. Data such as engine rpm, lap times, speed, and gear is displayed on an LCD screen. The wheel hub will also incorporate gear change paddles and a row of LED shift lights. The wheel alone can cost about £25,000,and with carbon fibre construction, weighs in at 1.3 kilograms.
    Endquote (bold accent added by me)
    Formula One Car
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    yeah . but the gear shifting however does not matter. the steering operation requires more sensitivity, and i think the all-mechanical steering gear with the steering wheel is far more better.
  • ppkmech
    ppkmech
    Sir,
    Any one, please give me the way to do such a thing....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google Chrome is a web browser developed by Google. Whereas Firefox is a free and open source web browser descended from the Mozilla Application. Is Google Chrome a more secure...

hi

HI, i am gopinath i am studying electrical and electronics engineering. i would likely to become a very good scientist....
If any budding, newbie entrepreneurs, established entrepreneurs are watching this thread, I'd like to know the best entrepreneurial advice you've ever received and from whom. It'd also be cool if...
No spamming in this thread please. Just write the words and add who did you hear those words from. I'll start rolling the ball. "Screw It! Let's Do It" -...
HI!!! i belong to ece department.we are having a group in our department named *ecestudentshub*..now the point is we are in a thought to release a magazine. This is the...