Stay in manual testing role or move to automation?

Hi,

I have worked as test engineer for 4 yrs now, and also have little exposure to automation , i code basically in perl , now i have got opportunity to work in automation team in another project , is it right for me to switch , I find my self in dilema can you please help me with the same

4 yrs of same work has been sort of boredom , currently they have offered me diff work with automation as well . Is it right decision for me to stay back or move on to another project where i have been offered automation frame work development job.

I always felt automation is better option but automation without knowing domain is it worth it ? or automation with testing is better

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# , Welcome to CrazyEngineers. I hope you will get all the help you are looking for here. I've moved your post to form a new discussion.

Shifalij
    4 yrs of same work has been sort of boredom , currently they have offered me diff work with automation as well
    You've been in your current role for four years and lack of challenges is one of the main reasons to get bored; it seems. You did not mention the thought that is stopping you from accepting the automation role. There will be a lot to learn and build your profile, so that if the need arises, you can switch to a new company / role.

Shifalij
    I always felt automation is better option but automation without knowing domain is it worth it ? or automation with testing is better
    If you think automation is better, you should go for it. Perhaps, you should let us know what the dilemma is and the reason behind it.
  • Shifalij
    Shifalij
    I m in dilema because i hear people saying if i move into automation there will not be much of domain involved(I currenlty work in telecom). and later part I might not find good work either in testing /automation. Currently have 4 yrs experience in testing and suppose let us consider as automation for 2 years then i m still like a fresher in automation.
  • Shifalij
    Shifalij
    Also here they are offering me role testing with automation , i m not sure how good it is or will it help me in future .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shifalij
    people saying if i move into automation there will not be much of domain involved(I currenlty work in telecom)
    You will have to talk to them the reason why they think there won't be much 'domain' involved. I'm not sure what that even means. I'd rather think that 'software testing' is your domain and not 'telecom'. Your job is to test the software irrespective of what it does; of course it does require some knowledge that you will gain over a period of time but there's no point in sticking to just one.

I'd recommend the following:-

1. Talk to the people in your organisation and find out why they are recommending against it. You'll need to know the facts.

2. What kind of role is being offered to you in automation? Think how will it help you build your profile, if it will, at all.

3. Does this new opportunity takes you a step closer to your long term career goal? Think about it and take a call.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

His dad a retired a Deputy Director of Sericulture and mother a house-wife, Santhosh Tuppad comes from a family that has travelled a lot across various cities in the state...
In the overcrowded Android phone market in India, one may mistake every new launch as just another mobile device with specs a little rearranged. Breaking such norms Karbonn has had...
Sony has been working hard on the next big PlayStation 4 software update, and has revealed what improvements owners can expect to see. With a list of upgrades in the...
Hello I completed my Btech in electronic communications stream. I have interest to learn testing,But the thing is there are so many modules in testing like, QA QTP SELENIUM MANUAL...
Quote: This week’s video is brought to you by Insenth, a Chinese company claiming to have developed the world’s first augmented reality display for cyclists. Dubbed Senth IN1, the system...