St Elmo's Fire

Well I never knew this existed till this day and the moment I found it I wanted to share it to CEans

Do check the links of how they are formed
St._Elmo's Fire

But still one thing puzzles me How come air break down in such low potential cos I don't find any material capable of breaking down air and causing a discharge in air Then how is it formed

Replies

• KenJackson
    KenJackson
    I read about "St. Elmo's fire" and it's aural partner "the buzzing of the bees" forty years ago in Amazon.com. Though I trekked up a lot of mountains, I've never seen it. But I have heard the buzzing of the bees--that eerie static buzz that you can't quite place but seems like it's all around you. And now I can't even find one reference to the bees on the web.

BTW, you didn't give the link you referenced.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Hmm...St._Elmo's Fire, one of the many wonders of nature. One such fascinating phenomenon I remember is Aurora %28Astronomy%29. Maybe St._Elmo's Fire formation is similar to Aurora.
  • Ankush Sharma
    Ankush Sharma
    St. Elmo's fire is a weather phenomenon in which luminous plasma is created by a coronal discharge from a sharp or pointed object in a strong electric field in the atmosphere.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Use all the basic arithmetic operators to get 24 This is easy But you must use these numbers alone and get it Try to get 24 using 8,3,3 and an...
It’s fun, It’s entertaining, & It’s back!!! That’s right….. ASME GIKI Chapter (Pakistan) is organizing one of the most anticipated events of the year the 2nd International Mechanical Engineering Convention...
Because 'FDI' & 'Globalisation' are my newfound interests - I continue to gather information on how are they 'helping' India. Contrary to what the economist & Prime Minister Manmohan Singh...
Hi Friends, My name is Nitin. I live in Mumbai. I am a student.
Can we close our Ears with Fingers for long Hours? while reading One gets more concentration if we do so.