Square wave and Sinusoidal wave reponse

Hey I was working this in my mind and found this question unanswered after a long time

Can you guys tell can a device which is working in AC mains (230 V 50Hz) work in a supply having 230 V 50Hz Square wave?.

I am confused can you pls post links are stuff and also tell difference in the response of a device to the two input sources ?

Replies

• prashanth463
    prashanth463
    i think it will work, however the device converts the AC to DC to perform its operation, when a square wave is given, the AC signal can be converted into DC in just one step i.e. rectification process
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I want to know whether a device which works in 50 Hz AC sinusoidal cycle will work the same way in AC Square wave of 50 Hz.

Ex TV and stuff like refridgerators and all buddy
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Nature of square wave will define how the device works. Think PWM - power output of the device will be equal to the duty cycle (on/off ratio) of the wave. For passive loads, this is not a problem (dim lights). But active loads will display erratic behavior.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    So a device having unity or almost unity power factor will not show any mal functions right only that loads having lower power factor shows some change in behaviour

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So, my GFX card is fried (Kids! too much OC'ing is baaad) & thus I am back to Intel inbuilt chipset (FML!) As usual,I can't suppress the urge of gaming...
Nokia's going bullish on the Lumia brand in the Indian markets and the latest Lumia 520 is expected to launch in India in the next few days. The phone was...
i have one new HC SR04, i have few serious doubts about it... 1. how can i test it. 2. i tried watcing its echo on DSO but it was...
kindly someone help me to resolve d problem.....
i want to ask about my final year project,my field is development,i was thinking about to work on .net or yii framework, can anyone give me some ideas,or can anyone...