View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12921 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
RAANA
RAANA • Mar 5, 2012

SQL DATABASE: copying data of one table into another table

In C# I want to write the query for copying one table data into another table, can anybody help me?
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Mar 5, 2012
RAANA
In C# I want to write the query for copying one table data into another table, can anybody help me?
Share the code you've written so far πŸ˜€
vinci
vinci • Mar 6, 2012
you need sql code
INSERT INTO TABLE2 (COL1, COL2, COL3) SELECT COL1, COL4, COL7 FROM TABLE1​
try this ​

with ADO.Net concepts apply the above query over database table and you get desired results
RAANA
Bulk Copy feature of ADO.NET might help you take a look at that: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/s4s223c6.aspx
This is the simplest way to copy a table into another (new) table in the same SQL Server database. This way of copying does not copy constraints and indexes.
select * into  from 

Example:
Select * into employee_backup from employee
We can also select only a few columns into the destination table like below
select col1, col2, col3 into 
from 

Example:
Select empId, empFirstName, empLastName, emgAge into employee_backup
from employee
Use this to copy only the structure of the source table.
select * into  from  where 1 = 2

Example:
select * into employee_backup from employee where 1=2
Use this to copy a table across two database in the same Sql Server.
select * into 
from 

Example:
select * into Mydatabase2.dbo.employee_backup
from mydatabase1.dbo.employee
Any one of the following methods can be employed to copy a table into a destination database on a different SQL Server.
1. Data Transformation Service (DTS) – SQL Server 2000.
2. SQL Server Integration Service (SSIS) – SQL Server 2005
3. SQL Server β€œExport Data” task. – SQL Server 2000/2005
4. Create a linked Server of the destination SQL Server on the source SQL Server and then copy the table. – SQL Server 2000/ 2005.
5. We can also use sp_generate_inserts to generate data insertion scripts and then run the insert scripts.
6. I almost forgot this πŸ˜‰ you can open the source table , select the row(s), copy (ctrl + C) the row(s), open the destination table and then paste (ctrl + V) the row(s).

Share this content on your social channels -