Springs

hi there ,
i just studied helical springs for my exams . In that there was a topic called for calculating the shear force acting on the spring . It was calculated by considering two things .
1. t1=acting due to the weight
2.force /area + curvature effect of the wire .
now there is somethng called wahl factor , which considers both the factors of point 2 .
But my problem is that when do we actually considers both the factors in point 2 .
i mean when i actually start solving the problems , the answer is calculated sometimes by considering only one factor and sometimes by using both .
what to do

Replies

• Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Wahl's factor is actually a curvature correction factor. If the load applied is constant throughout, you just need to find all the stress distribution and proceed. And all the details regarding the usage of both the factors is mentioned in the data book. Do go through it thoroughly. Good question though!! 😀
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    but wahl factor k=kc*ks . when the question states that "neglect the stress conc factor " why do we neglect only wire curvature correction factor not both the factors

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need help activating my my copy of MS Office 2010 professional plus. i really need to use it. any body please help a brother out.
Check out the following video, especially the lady in a meeting is holding a tablet with the 'smart cover' only available for the ipad2.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM1Pt0AXSaI
Looks like the hackers are back into action. Citigroup clarified that over 1 per cent of the north American credit card accounts have been hacked, totaling 360,083 users. What type...
Hey Guys, i have passed out of 12th. i am thinking of taking up chemical engineering. and i am ready to work hard for it. r chemical engineers well paid?
Hi there, Does anyone tell me. What is the high paying careers are available with a computer science and IT engineering? If you have any any idea please suggest to...