Spring Festival of China

Spring Festival is coming soon! I’m going back to my hometown to spend the holiday with my family.

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Great Vivien. Keep posting us about the festival. What do Chinese do to celebrate Spring festival traditionally? 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vivien.hugo
    Spring Festival is coming soon! I’m going back to my hometown to spend the holiday with my family.
    Cool. Where are you from?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Vivien.hugo
    Wow, that's awesome. Have a good time! 😀
    Ahh! The feeling of returning home for a vacation. 😁

Do post some pictures of the Spring Festival.
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    I come from China. There are many customs about Spring Festival. One of the legends about the origin of Spring Festival is as follows:
    The Nian (means year), a cruel and ferocious monster that devours people and livestock on the New Year’s Eve. In order to avoid the monster Nian, people had to escape into remote mountains on that day. One year, on the New Year’s Eve, an old woman appeared and successfully helped people to drive off the monster Nian with something it feared, like red decoration, light and noise. On the morning of the next day (the first day of the first month of the lunar calendar), people visited their relatives and friends to congratulate. Ever since then, people put up red couplets on their gate, set off firecrackers and keep the house in a blaze on the whole night on New Year’s Eve and exchange wishes on the first day of the first month of the lunar calendar.

Many customs about the celebration, such as visit friends, neighbors and relatives to exchange wishes. We wear beautiful clothes, set off fireworks on this period. We do not say rude words or fight with others on this period! The elder people of the family will give red envelops with money in it to the children. Since I can earn money now, so I have to give red envelops to the children😀.
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    I'll go home on Saturday and will have a holiday for one week. After come back to the office I'll share with you something about Spring Festival, maybe some pictures. Wish you all happy and prosperous New Year!
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Vivien.hugo
    Have a nice time man! Do share the pics!!! 😀
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    Hi, everyone, I came back to work now. But i caught a cold and stayed at home to rest since i don't feel well. It's pity that i didn't go out.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Vivien.hugo
    Hi, everyone, I came back to work now. But i caught a cold and stayed at home to rest since i don't feel well. It's pity that i didn't go out.
    That's alright, you will go the next time. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, everyone! I'm new here. Nice joining you~~
Yeah I blocked some on the router (supplied by my IP). I set it to block all adult contents, but now I see hes been using tunnel proxies...hmmmm...Yes, I need...
IBM claims to have created the world’s smallest magnetic computer memory bit using only 12 atoms. ​ The US computer company said the experimental low-temperature memory is at least 100...
Notion ink's adam tablet received a mixed response from the reviewers. Those who decided to give the tablet a try will now be pleasantly surprised - Notion Ink's just teased...
Wikipedia founder has said that the most popular online encyclopedia in the world - Wikipedia will go 'dark' on Wednesday January 18 to protest SOPA. If the official stats are...