Split up of AMD- good or bad?

Some of you might already be aware of AMD's recent announcement of splitting into two different companies: one for R&D, and spinning off the manufacturing and fabrication division.

I suppose its good that AMD can now solely focus on developing IC technologies for the CPU and GPU market, and could potentially save costs by outsourcing the fabrication.

.. however, is the latter true in all cases? Will this new foundry be able to keep up with changes in IC fabrication technology or will AMD be reliant on others?

How will the spinned of company fare in the independent manufacturing business? Seems like they are following suit with Siemen's Infineon and the more recent NXP Semiconductors of Philips.

I hope prices for the AMD chips will decrease soon, so I can purchase my Athlon X2 4450e!

Links of interest:
[1- Engadget article] #-Link-Snipped-#
[2- Official Announcment on AMD] #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai evrybody, i jus got an expt to be done. The topic goes "FILE MGMT(UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD) USING JSP " so,if anybody could help me it would be great frnds Uhhhhh. to...
I'm thinking - why not publish the feeds of our own bloggers? CE gets content - you get traffic! Here's how it works - 1. You publish the RSS feed...
I just found following stock chart on TechCrunch - Apple is down 40% Yahoo/Google down 20% Microsoft just 10% So, what do you have to say? 😒
Everyone searches for music online. I mosty search for music by track titles. But most of the times, I can't remember the title - just few words from the songs....
Hello friends, I am a new crazy engineer.Can any one help me in my final year project which is related to video processing. project details: In this project the output...