Song Recommendation Project

This is what I posted in the Creative Crazy Ideas thread

Here is my idea. I want to make a software where you input an mp3 and the software analyzes it and returns a list of songs which are similar in style/genre.

I plan to achieve this by associating 'tags' with each song in the database. These 'tags' can be many as desired (for better results). A track can have 'tags' of the type 'Rock song', 'Male singer', 'Over 5 minutes long', 'Is in the key of A', 'Has a guitar solo' etc.

So the software analyzes the input track, generates tags for it and then returns from the database a list of songs where the tags match.

The main problem will be the generation of the 'tags'. All 'tags' will be different and will have to be done on a case by case basis.

For example if the software analyzes a track and finds out that the track contains distorted guitars, drums and bass then tag of 'rock' could be applied to it. If it contains only synthesizers it could be said to be 'electronic music'. If the vocal track is found to be female the tag of 'female singer' could be applied.

So my first question is: Is there a way to find out what instruments are there in a track? By analyzing a waveform can we make out if there are multiple instruments?

Since I have MIDI files for every note of most instruments, will this idea work: You analyze a waveform and find out there are different instruments (if it can be done). You have no idea what these instruments are but you know their frequency. You compare a particular instrument (Again, don't know if it can be isolated or not) with the MIDI files of similar frequency till you get a match (Don't know what property to match) and then you can say such and such instrument is present.
And this is what Rupam Sir replied

1. Take Audio
2. Perform FFT.
3. Apply Filter
4. Extract Different frequency Bands. Take their statistics. We call them features. Input the tags for this feature set.
5. Build a good database with such feature set. Then run fuzzy classifier for Input song's features.
I've created this thread to have a separate thread for asking doubts and posting updates.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is it necessary to have good command on communication skill for an engineering student to get placement on campus? or also to have good command on Aptitude, GD and PI?...
One pilot, zero passengers and a message of inspiration are bound to make a trip in a solar-powered plane from one US coast to another on May 1. 12,000 photovoltaic...
Friends , I would like to know how does an antivirus works. I heard it exactly check the signature of the files. what exactly the signature is.? I have a...
The 11th list of Best Companies to work for in India as assessed by Business Today has been published. TCS leads the pack. https://in.finance.yahoo.com/photos/best-companies-to-work-for-in-india-1329482933-slideshow/
why complimentary solution and particular solution are used only in rl circuit? give me what is the significans of complimentary solution and particular solution