Something about CEoM

Hey Guys, I wanted to tell something about CEoM contest. It is one unique thing I have ever seen which is started here on CE where the admin is actually paying you real money and not some grab and give goodies. You should respect that and take it more seriously. As compared to last 3 months, the outcomes have reduced exponentially. The same thing pops up every month, one clear winner in first 10 days. Please don't let this happen.

I am not questioning the efforts winners are taking but seriously, 3000-6000 is not a win range. The new thresholds they made are cool enough. As compared to previous versions, the competition is not going tough. So please, everyone contribute.

Personally I have been very busy to make content since I have started with new startup but atleast i find some time everyday to log in and read posts and new additions. I have watched all forums and I get like 5-8 new notifications everyday. Means only 5-10 topics are started daily? Seriously? In a community of 150,000 Engineers? Come on. We can do better than that. Else all the money they are spending on the contest is waste.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I had expected at least 100 - 200 new discussions every day. Even the threshold we've set is very generous.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We will try to reach out to each and every participant for this month and ask him/her to actively participate. We have to push everyone. That's what needs to be done and will be done.

Let's take it on the top gear. 👍

Those who have a little free time can start posting on the profiles OR send private conversation messages to 5 people at a time to ask them to participate. If they get repeated requests from CEans to participate - we might get ourselves a fierce competition. 😀 It has to be a team effort.

I am jotting down email addresses and sending them all a reminder today.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its only a feedback from me:
    Moderators have to be little more cautious before moving or deleting threads from technical/debate sections.I itself found that some worthy technically leading discussions were moved to chit chat sections.My friends also complained me about the active reply of moderators because i feel they should be more cautious before doing actions. It hurts a lot and it stops the flow of threads from individual.

To Nayan Goenka :Last month(august)- rules were different and you can post news, etc but thus month is different and moderators are more strict enough to curb the flow of threads.i don't think this month going to get a winner- this may sound negative but starting technical discussions were nite easy and a thresholds of 12000 points is not fair being news section not included in CEoM.
    But I witNess less threads to answer or less CEans to converse related to my department who are active in CE.
    Hope to rope in my friends.

Siggestion- Separate moderators for each section which are good in that department should be used.I know that it will be difficult to do but to improve reputation of CE,i feel CE should get revamped.

Thanks to CE , CEOM for nurturing me.....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Posting news was never an intention. But when we noticed that some of the contestants were abusing the system by simply posting news items and collecting points - with no intention of building discussions, we had to make a change. We've a dedicated team of authors for writing the news items and they are responsible for covering latest technological happenings. We allowed our authors to start news topics in respective sections so that we've proper distribution of content all over the forums.

However, when we began low quality content being created in the name of news from CEoM contestants, we had to make a change. It's not what we loved to do; but were forced to do.

Look at how the Downloads section was abused in the recent times. We've deleted numerous uploads that were simple copy-pastes from University websites uploaded as PDFs. When the system starts getting exploited; we must make tougher rules.

Traditionally we never imposed rules and never thought we had to be so tough about content on CrazyEngineers. CEoM's purpose is to make everyone win. We expected people to post real problems, real questions so that others could build discussions. We also wanted people to keep eye on each other so that we could avoid spam. But what did we observe?

People would get into the race of creating spam than reporting it to the mods!

Threshold has been created because someone would take a lead by being super active in the first 10 days and then almost going idle. If he/she saw someone getting closer; post more spammy news items and maintain lead.

That's not what we want!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : Moderators are deployed to monitor spam. It was too much in the first two months. Now its controlled. Maybe more than control they are doing but that is still manageable. Also they increased value in points for all the stuff you post. That counts as well. You make 40 good topics in one month and you easily border the threshold. Apart your discussions and explanations and resources count. You can find one topic to talk about daily.

There were some people in August who earned most of their points only via News section. They kept on refreshing google news and post same content here. That is not useful Leave the news to trained writers. Non-Staff members have an additional head-start of 8000 points. Make use of it. Blaming the moderators for cutting stuff is not credible reason. You got to do better than that.

I dont have doubt that you could perform better, but seeing the last month's performance, 7000 is not a winning score. Compare it to your other two predecessors. 20k then 15k. 7 is too low as compared.
    Nayan Goenka
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : Moderators are deployed to monitor spam. It was too much in the first two months. Now its controlled. Maybe more than control they are doing but that is still manageable. Also they increased value in points for all the stuff you post. That counts as well. You make 40 good topics in one month and you easily border the threshold. Apart your discussions and explanations and resources count. You can find one topic to talk about daily.

There were some people in August who earned most of their points only via News section. They kept on refreshing google news and post same content here. That is not useful Leave the news to trained writers. Non-Staff members have an additional head-start of 8000 points. Make use of it. Blaming the moderators for cutting stuff is not credible reason. You got to do better than that.

I dont have doubt that you could perform better, but seeing the last month's performance, 7000 is not a winning score. Compare it to your other two predecessors. 20k then 15k. 7 is too low as compared.
    I agree to you but don't forget that previous CEoM is mostly filled with news items and more threads in gadget section do that creating points alone dont imply that those CEoM is better.I agree to all aspects but 12k points again disturbing me.
    note :40*200=8000 points only bro.
    Don't forget the number of technical discussions(excluding discussions in gadgets section) in previous CEoM was very less compared to present one .
    now i see a good number of technical discussions but less active CEans.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We never said CEoM would be easy to win. Math says in order to score 12000 points, you need to create 60 discussions, or make 240 posts in a month.

Now even if a contestant creates 2 high quality discussions every day and participate in other discussions - crossing that threshold is EASY! Don't forget that the points for likes and user votes have gone up as well!

If someone wants to win the title and the cash prize; I think it's a very fair deal. I agree that it all will need more brain-work than creating news items that offer no insight; but that's exactly what we want.

I don't get why so much of importance is being given to the news items? CE was never a 'news' discussion community.

Take a look at the discussion about Tata Sky Signal Disruption problem or any other discussions that are really useful to people. How hard it is to be curious about stuff around you, ask questions and share the knowledge you already have?
    I agree but i request all CEans to present actively participate because I don't want to be a lone wolf posting threads with no one to reply.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I am going to try and make all the October participants aware of the new rules and get them to participate. I will also send them frequent reminders. Let's see if it works.
    Ankita Katdare
    I am going to try and make all the October participants aware of the new rules and get them to participate. I will also send them frequent reminders. Let's see if it works.
    Ankita Katdare
    Yes most of the users don't have a clear idea on the CEOM contest and its benefits which enhance the knowledge .I will also try to invite friends.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Now check your latest comment in #-Link-Snipped-#
    This type of comments isn't really helpful.
    Point is, noone really cares in what you're or I am interested in. Thing is you should've searched something in internet about that specific thread, learn something related to it & then share in that post, rather than saying "I am curious to know .......... "

I mean, whatever man! You're curious ? find it out in internet & share the knowledge & take the discussion to another level.
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Now check your latest comment in #-Link-Snipped-#
    This type of comments isn't really helpful.
    Point is, noone really cares in what you're or I am interested in. Thing is you should've searched something in internet about that specific thread, learn something related to it & then share in that post, rather than saying "I am curious to know .......... "

I mean, whatever man! You're curious ? find it out in internet & share the knowledge & take the discussion to another level.
    Sharing the link or specification alone can't take our discussion to next level.creativity and innovation arise where questions are born .I will follow your advice on checking Google before posting.Thanks friend.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    I agree to you but don't forget that previous CEoM is mostly filled with news items and more threads in gadget section do that creating points alone dont imply that those CEoM is better.I agree to all aspects but 12k points again disturbing me.
    note :40*200=8000 points only bro.
    I have done the math already. I know it counts to 8000 points. I left the rest of them to account for your comments, resources and likes/votes.

As it is already said, CE was never about News discussion. and it doesn't make you a lone wolf, in fact it projects that there is the still the guy whos taking efforts and at the time of result it comes in mind, yea he deserves it. Plus, earlier News articles were more because there were more happenings around. TechFests, Launches and Expos were scheduled in Sept / August so more articles were generated. The participants used that, at that time doesn't mean that you will try to concentrate on them since it is easier. People refresh google news, copy content from sources, change grammar and post. This was happening. I myself did it at 1-2 occasions but later I realized and stopped. So when we made posts, we tried to keep it spam free. If you take up my posts from August, many of them dont even have decent number of views, but that never held back.

Some day some person will need that article in some or the other way.

If you are told not to write news articles, notify any staff member about it. They give you credit in footnotes. At least i saw that in some posts. One day or the other, you have to start looking beyond that too. If you think you are good enough, you can apply to be a writer yourself and Admins will take care of that.

The threshold is introduced because the CEoM had become all about a RACE. Now it is turning into something about PERFORMANCE. And keep that in mind, Slow and Steady wins the Race.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    As promised, I have personally PMed all the CEoM participants who haven't yet started participating.

We have also sent mails to most of them. I would be really happy if I see replies to my PMs.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This leviathan with eight numbers of 3 meter dia tyres may top Guinnes Records for dump trucks. https://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/02/worlds-largest-dump-truck-video/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: weblogsinc/autoblog (Autoblog) Admin: Adding Video To The Post:
Quote Five physics discoveries with the potential to transform the world have been selected by a leading science magazine for its 25th birthday issue. Quantum computing and science that could...
Those looking for patent applications from India or granted patent to Indian applications can look for them here - https://ipindiaservices.gov.in/patentsearch/search/index.aspx This website is under the control of Government of India's...
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FERRITE AND ALPHA IRON?
hey can anybody tell me how to post a new post ?